This is the Message Centre for JulesK

Hi Jules

Post 1

biomass

I'm also new and have very little idea of what I am doing. Can't help you out with travel tips as I have never been outside of Australia, although I have toured quite a bit of this enormous country (mainly by motorcycle). Do you have any ambition to see Australia? There isn't much we don't have - deserts, jungles (i.e. tropical rainforests), ski fields more vast than the Swiss Alps (though seriously lacking in height), mega coastline, etc. - because it's such a huge place that it spans tropical, sub-tropical, and temperate zones. No, we don't have a polar region, but the south coast of Tasmania is as close as you would want to get to Antarctica - it's freezing down there! Best of luck with your travels.smiley - cool

Travel

Post 2

JulesK

Hi Biomass,
Good to hear from you.
Australia is becoming v.popular to visit from the UK but you need a fair amount of time to do it justice, what with the long flights either end...and so far I haven't been able to get enough holiday time in a block. My pal is going this summer (your winter?) so will report back I expect. There is also a huge exodus towards the new middle earth but i don't know if you talk about that 'other' place!We have friends who emigrated to Oz, near Sydney, so one day we do hope to venture there.
Jules.

Travel

Post 3

biomass

My advice to your friend would be to steer clear of cities, unless they like that sort of thing. All big cities are somewhat similar, motel rooms definitely don't give you a feel for the place. Get "off the beaten track" a bit (as we say here) and see the natural wonders - it is God's own coutry if you know where to go. Travelling by bike and camping in a tent has allowed me to see some magnificent spots, but that's all over now, because I'm a poverty stricken student who can barely afford the petrol to get me to and from university.smiley - erm

Travel

Post 4

JulesK

I will let them know your views on cities - but I would think everyone tries to see Sydney at least.
What are you studying?
Jules

Travel

Post 5

biomass

Of all the cities in Australia, Sydney is the worst one to visit. The place is a dump and the people are rude - but that's my opinion. Melbourne was voted the "World's most livable city" a couple of years ago, and Perth and Hobart (the capitals of Western Australia and Tasmania respectively) have the most relaxed pace, and therefore the most relaxed people. That's if they must hit the cities! I completed my Bachelor of Science (Biological Sciences) degree last year (our acedemic year finishes at the end of November, I think yours are different), with a double major in Microbiology and Genetics, and was fortunate enough to be offered one of 8 honours position in the Micro department. So that's what I'm doing now, an honours year in Microbiology (i.e. another 12 months of poverty - not to worry).smiley - wah

Studying

Post 6

JulesK

Well I suppose the next question is what do you then do when you finish? Will it be working for a lab somewhere? Is an honours year like doing an extra qualifiaction (masters/phD type stuff)?

Studying

Post 7

biomass

Yes, I will probably end up as a lab rat somewhere. An honours year puts (Hons) on the title of your degree, so little reward for so much work. If I do well enough and get a first class honours (H1), I'm in with a shot at a scholarship to do my PhD. There are only three of those in the micro department, so I'll have cause accidents to 5 other people by the end of the year to ensure a place. Either that or work harder.smiley - ok

Studying

Post 8

JulesK

Ah yes, the spouse did their phD in a similar way- kind of working for the department as a 'research assistant' at the same time, so I get it now. Anyway, all that is boring (not your studies, I mean talking about it, well you know what I mean!) Am I right that you are about twelve hours ahead of the UK, in which case it's a bit early over there, isn't it? Most students should be safely tucked up in bed about now I would think, unless they haven't made it home yet.What can I say that's of any interest? Not much I'm afraid. At least it's the weekend - in fact if it's the weekend you should definitely not be at your computer at this time!! Off to London (very big city, you'd hate it)tomorrow...no idea what we'll do but we're going.

smileys

Post 9

JulesK

PS where do you find smileys when replying to stuff like this? I need them on the same page so I can paste them in, as I'm not terribly great with this kind of thing.

Studying

Post 10

biomass

Yes its 6:30am, and I been fooling around with this thing all night. Yes it's a research year but not in the way you have pictured it. The government pay me a measly sum called Austudy. They don't pay that for a PhD so I have to win a scholarship grant or I'm off to work at a sewerage treatment plant, cheese factory, or the other fine smelling establishments microbiologists tend to gravitate toward.smiley - erm

smileys

Post 11

biomass

P.S. My smileys are below the dialogue box that I type these messages in, aren't yours? I didn't put them there, they were already in that spot.smiley - smileysmiley - biggrinsmiley - winkeyesmiley - coolsmiley - tongueoutsmiley - oksmiley - cheers

smileys

Post 12

JulesK

no there aren't any on my reply page! am on a quest to find out where they are now.

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for JulesK

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more