A Conversation for Coffee

Coffee v Tea

Post 21

Angry Engineer

I'm certain that all my European associates would agree to the fact that the Americans have a terrible compunction about preparing horrible coffee. Those of us who are discerning coffee drinkers know that the weak coffee produced by the average Mr. Coffee or Bun-O-Matic is good only for acting as engine lubricant. If given the option of either American coffee or any given tea, I'll take tea. However, I'm a coffee drinker because of two advances in home coffee production. First, the advent of the home espresso machine at affordable levels (you really cease to care what coffee you use when you cram far too much coffee into the stainless steel coffee compressor) has eliminated the need for hunting all over Greenville County, SC, for the elusive coffee shop to get one's caffeine fix. Second, when you are stuck at CVS hell on one of my 8-12 (or longer) shifts with only two hours sleep keeping you from collapsing on the counter, the office coffee pot can produce good European-type coffee. All you have to do is ignore the instructions on the can of coffee and, once you've jimmied open the top with a screwdriver or one of those little combination bottle/can openers, just start pouring into the coffee filter. Slap the tray into the machine, add water, and hope the thing doesn't explode. Five minutes later, check to see if any water broke through the layers of coffee. Twenty minutes later, pour yourself a cup of what seems to be axle grease with a strong coffee scent.

Coffee v Tea

Post 22

Trillian

I'm running the ristk of sounding very silly, possibly stupid, but what else does tea come in than bags? Its never in any other form at the grocery store of the cafe.

Coffee v Tea

Post 23

FordsTowel

That should be Coffee & Tea, or perhaps Coffee or Tea.

I love both (though I drink more coffee).
I like them both iced and sweet as well.
Even herbal teas (though they are not tea) are often pleasant.

Coffee has become even more enjoyable with the numerous flavor choices available like Hazelnut, Ameretto, and Irish Cream. Tea also has its variations like Oolong, Black Russian, and Earl Grey (if you like Bergamot, and I do).

Douglas Adams had quite specific instructions for enjoying a "really good cup of tea" in Salmon of Doubt. A pity one has to be so fussy to get it just right. He insisted, for example, that most Americans have never had a "proper" cup of tea, and no wonder they preferred coffee.

I'll brew tea leaves, steep bag tea, and disolve instant tea; but, for a quick jolt of something nearly "really good" I can settle for a teaspoon of instant coffee and be on my way.

Coffee v Tea

Post 24

FordsTowel

Loose tea is often put in diffusers, like tea-balls, or diffusing spoons. They trap the tea but let water run through. Probably not much better than bags.
The preferred method is to pre-heat a glazed porcelin or ceramic pot, pour in boiling water, and add loose tea leaves to steep. The teapot has a sort of strainer that filters out most of the buggers, but the remainder are used by tea readers.

Coffee v Tea

Post 25

Johann Desmera

There are several points i wish to bring up regarding the various benefits of coffee and tea;

for one, it is quite improper to compare the caffeine delivery of coffee and tea on the basis of simple amplitude.
Coffee provides a rapid, Boot-to-the-head approach to caffeine, with a kick that (especially in my case) is enough to send the mind reeling and induce a state of hyperactivity that can be quite pleasurable but troublesome if needing to operate heavy machinery or distill the meaning behind a text down to a page of high-density writing.

Tea, on the other hand, provides a much smoother delivery mechanism for caffeine; it's generally lower caffeine content allows more control of the level of caffeine in the system, such that someone could achieve a less manic awareness by drinking tea fairly constantly throughout the day.
There is also the matter of buffering in the two drinks; coffee provides a fairly unbuffered jolt of caffeine, quick to enter the system, and equally quick to leave it.
Tea, on the other hand, contains compounds that hold and delay the involvement of caffeine in the system; this is partly responsible for the gentler immediate impact, but also extends the effect of a cup of tea, resulting in a generally less shocking and longer boost.

I myself love both beverages, and am currently drinking a cup of the thick, opaque brew that i make with the espresso maker i recieved as a gift, and am in the process of designing my own model that i plan to use the machine shop of my competition robotics team to make, but tend to use more teas than coffee if i need to be aware and relaxed enough to spend all night studying.

Coffee v Tea

Post 26

igoragor

"the drink which grabs you, and instructs you on exactly how to behave for the next three hours." (Slartibartfast)

Tea does this quite well, especially if prepared the Polish way... Strong tea, a bit of lemon, and a double shot of vodka (rum, brandy, whiskey etc...)

..Though I have to side with the black stuff - nothing beats it for an early morning kick up the exit smiley - smiley

Coffee v Tea

Post 27

katrinka

it's tea for me. I can't stand the flavour of coffee, although I will admit that I like to chew on the beans.
tastes great, you can have 8 cups in a row, it's cool, easy to make (if you're doing teabags and boiling the water in a microwave, if, like me, you don't have enough time for loose leaves; and I can't wait until I can try some).
And I'm from Canada...so it's not just the British...

smiley - magicsmiley - teasmiley - magic

Coffee v Tea

Post 28

EINMOTO - Bliss is better - N = R* fp ne fl fi fc L

I don't like the taste of coffee, so I drink tea. But I'm looking for an alternative ... I don't need caffine or other stimulates ... it just has to taste good! Oh, and it has to be drunk warm!smiley - biggrin

Key: Complain about this post