A Conversation for Adopting a pet cat or kitten

Peer Review: A2334647 - Getting a cat

Post 1

Ekaterin

Entry: Getting a cat - A2334647
Author: Ekaterin - U239615

Although there's quite a bit of information on cats scattered through the Edited Guide, I couldn't find anything on getting a cat, so here's my contribution.

A2334647 - Getting a cat

Post 2

Cyzaki

"Do not get a cat or kitten from a pet shop." - surely some pet shops are OK - they don't all get their kittens from kitten farms and they don't all charge high prices.

I think the main message in this entry needs to be 'do your homework' - make sure you know exactly what you're getting in to.

smiley - panda

A2334647 - Getting a cat

Post 3

2 of 3

"Check that the owners have spayed the mother cat."

Why is this important?

2/3

A2334647 - Getting a cat

Post 4

Ekaterin

Re checking that the owners have spayed the mother cat - this is so as not to encourage irresponsible people to think that they can let their cat go on and on having kittens and there will always be homes for them.

Re pet shops: the rec.pets.cats FAQ was my source for the information about kitten mills. However, it also mentioned something about pet supply stores which work in conjunction with animal shelters to help home their cats. I'll do some more research on that when I have time.

Yes, I'll be more emphatic about doing your homework, although I already mention up front that a cat is a long-term commitment.

BTW, if I don't update the article or reply to posts until sometime tomorrow, I'm not ignoring you, I'm just having a VERY busy day today. smiley - runsmiley - runsmiley - run
Ekaterin.

A2334647 - Getting a cat

Post 5

There is only one thing worse than being Gosho, and that is not being Gosho

I think this a very good entry and a good subject for inclusion in the EG. I have a handful of questions and suggestions.

"They are more likely to bite or scratch while playing"
That depends on the temperament of the adult cat - I've known some which are quite vicious smiley - yikes. And a bite or scratch from an adult cat is likely to be more painful and more serious that one from a kitten smiley - injured

"Cats are low-maintenance pets"
Again, I think some qualification is necessary here. I have a friend whose cat is the most clingy and attention demanding animal I've ever known! The damn thing must have some terrible separation anxieties because it forever needs to be petted and stroked, and hates to be left on its own smiley - sadface

I wholeheartedly agree with you about two cats keeping each other company in a household where the occupant(s) have full time jobs and will be out for most of the working week.

You could add in the section about getting a cat from a shelter that not only will you giving the cat a home, you may well be saving its life since so many shelter cats have to be put down each week. Most shelters will only keep an animal for a set time before they have to kill it in order to make way for new animals smiley - sadface

Cats from shelters can in fact be more expensive than from a pet shop. The shelter where we got one of our cat from charged us a total of about $80, which included neutering fee, shots, collar tag, and an implanted ID microchip, among other things.

smiley - geeksmiley - online2longsmiley - stiffdrinksmiley - hangoversmiley - ok
Scout
Back in the saddle again smiley - pony

A2334647 - Getting a cat

Post 6

Researcher PSG

Hello

I was wondering if it might be worth talking about whether the cat will be restricted to the house or allowed to go out through a flap. As the debates on both sides of this might help people deciding whether to get a cat.

Also it might be worth having a little getting a cat check list. Or do people think this might be broadening the entry too much? I'm not sure.

Researcher PSG

A2334647 - Getting a cat

Post 7

Researcher PSG

Whoops, forgot to qualify what I meant by checklist. I mean the odds and ends you need for a cat, food bowl, litter tray, scratch post. Possibly with reasons for the less obvious ones, e.g. it stops them ripping the curtains.

Researcher PSG

A2334647 - Getting a cat

Post 8

Back_Ache

chipping is important to mention as is pet insurance.

But on the whole a great article and should go straight in the guide with only the most minor of tweaks.

A2334647 - Getting a cat

Post 9

The 'indoor/outdoor' cat question is well worth mentioning. Mrs Gosho and I had some, er... heated conversations about whether or not our first cat should go outside. She didn't want to let him out because 'outdoor cats only live half as long as indoor cats' I didn't want to keep him in because it seems very cruel to keep a cat within the confines of a small apartment, especially one who is so undeniably an outdoor cat as he is. He may live for 15 years as an indoor cat, but what a miserable life smiley - sadface

We compromised with our second cat who is temperamentally more of an indoor cat, but who does often want to follow her 'brother' outside. He is now a svelt, muscular, handsome animal, whilst she is something of a blob because she gets almost no exercise.

A2334647 - Getting a cat

Post 10

Z

I just wanted to add that not all animals shelters destroy animals that are healthy. I know that the cats protection league in the UK, and Battersea Dogs Home (cats divsion) have a policy of not doing so.

Also if you adopt a cat from a shelther they will sometimes wish to carry out an inspection of your home before they let you bring it home.

I want a cat smiley - wah

A2334647 - Getting a cat

Post 11

Ivan the Terribly Average

It might be a good idea to mention something about local restrictions on cat ownership, and the need to check with local authorities before rushing ahead and getting a small and extremely cute bundle of fur. Here in Canberra, I think all cats have to be microchipped for identification; I'm not sure if neutering of domestic cats is mandatory (but it has been up for discussion); and even more strange is the fact - announced today - that cat owners in two new suburbs will be legally required to keep their cats inside, or in outdoor secure enclosures, at all times. (There are endangered frogs and small marsupials in nearby scrubland, you see.)

Rather than trying to detail all that lot, a brief reference to checking local by-laws might be the way to go.

smiley - redwineIvan (who wishes he had a cat).

A2334647 - Getting a cat

Post 12

Ekaterin

I have extensively updated the article to incorporate all your suggestions.

Re pet shops: lots of web pages seem to warn about them. I think that good "pet shops" usually just sell pet supplies rather than the animals themselves. Does anyone have more extensive knowledge of this? (My first cat came free from a schoolfriend as a kitten, and my second was a stray that just started hanging around my parents' house, so I've no experience of buying cats from pet shops.)

Re kittens biting or scratching: I meant that although both cats and kittens might bite while angry, kittens might also bite because they got carried away while playing and they haven't yet learnt that it hurts.

Re indoor/outdoor cats: I think this is a controversial topic and very dependent on where you live. I live in the UK, and I didn't know that anyone confined their cats to the house until I grew up - all the cat books said that it was cruel to keep a cat indoors. In the US, however, I get the impression that most cat owners believe it's cruel to let them out. Gosho, may I ask what country you live in?

Re pet insurance: could you go into more details? Insuring against the cost of vet care, or insuring against losing the pet (presumably only for pedigree cats, since moggies don't have much monetary value).

Ekaterin (I want a cat too, but I think I should buy a house first, which I can't easily afford smiley - sadface)

A2334647 - Getting a cat

Post 13

I currently live in the US Ekaterin, but I've had the same indoor/outdoor debate when I lived in the UK.

I believe more people in the US do prefer to keep their cat indoors, and I've a feeling that when Mrs Gosho picked up our cat from the shelter, they strongly suggested - perhaps even insisted? - that he be kept indoors. If I'd been there at the time I would have told them what I think of that of that policy and we may have ended up not getting the little bugger... who I love to bits smiley - loveblush

For some reason, pet insurance in the US isn't as popular as it is in the UK. I suggested getting it, but Mrs Gosho said that no-one here does smiley - erm

You had a very good entry here to begin with - it's looking even better now smiley - ok

smiley - geeksmiley - online2longsmiley - stiffdrinksmiley - hangoversmiley - ok
Scout
Back in the saddle again smiley - pony

A2334647 - Getting a cat

Post 14

Researcher PSG

The entries looking very good nowsmiley - ok

It might be worth mentioning in a footnote that the microchipping is required if you want your pet to get one of those pet passport things. Just as an added reason to get it donesmiley - smiley

I'm surprised the US don't go in for pet insurance. After all they have health insurance over there, so you'd think it was a natural progressionsmiley - erm

Researcher PSG

A2334647 - Getting a cat

Post 15

Researcher PSG

UK pet passport (Keep forgetting to make the country bit clearsmiley - doh)

Researcher PSG

A2334647 - Getting a cat

Post 16

Researcher PSG

Three posts in a row, sorry.

For the bit about making sure kids do not see cats as toys, this might be a good link:
A224696 Classic Children's Toys

smiley - smiley

Researcher PSG

A2334647 - Getting a cat

Post 17

Mort - a middle aged Girl Interrupted

very good entry.

Keeping two cats for company while at work is a great idea if you have a big house or if they go outdoors. but if it is a small house/flat then having 2 in the same house can cause problems. cats are not naturally a pack animal and are territorial.

Whilst cats get on with each other, they can still have psychological problems - such as overgrooming, inappropriate elimation, hair loss, intermittant diarr etc due to the stress of it.

This is becoming an increasingly recognised problem oftermed 'multi-cat household syndrome. (Google it and there is quite a bit of info on it)

One of my cats is on clomipramine due to it smiley - headhurts although he would never hurt his sister, he needs his space away from her most of the time.

Someone mentioned kittens scratching biting etc. It is true that adults do too, but it is very likely in kittens as it is part of their learning to hunt instinct.

Pet insurance is a must.

I would also recommend that if buying a pedigree cat that you get a written guarentee from the breeder that if a veterinary surgeon finds a problem with the kitten that it can be returned or a significant refund made. Take the new kitten to a vet and ask for a health check. This is a good way to pick up any congenital problems such as heart defects, jaw malformations (common in some flat faced cats) etc. As these conditions may require added expense as a one off, or for the animals life in vet bills.

Taking on an ex breeding cat can be another idea. They are often only 5 years old or so, and have a great temperament. The breeder may sell them at a reduced price as they can no longer use them and would love to see them go to a good home.

Never buy a pedigree cat without papers. Also ask to see the vaccination status of the parents and a vet certificate to say that the parents have been checked for FELV and FIV.

smiley - ok

A2334647 - Getting a cat

Post 18

Ekaterin

Mort, smiley - ta very much indeed for all your help, and I've updated the article to incorporate some of your comments. May I ask a couple of questions?

Could you clarify exactly why pet insurance is important - what does it insure against? I'm ashamed to say that we didn't have pet insurance for either of the two cats I had as a child. smiley - blush

About ex-breeding cats - would it be because they're too old to have kittens that the breeder can't use them any more?
Ekaterin.

A2334647 - Getting a cat

Post 19

Gnomon - time to move on

This is an excellent entry, and is good enough for the Guide as it stands! smiley - ok

I think it starts rather abruptly, though. I'd prefer to see it start with something like "Cats are beautiful, elegant creatures which can make very good pets. They can be very friendly and rewarding, although they won't repay you with the blind obedience you will get from a dog."

A2334647 - Getting a cat

Post 20

Milos

Very comprehensive, you've thought of virtually everything. smiley - ok

You might add to the lifespan bit that even though 12 to 15 years is average, some cats can live much longer -- to 20 or 25 years. It's not as common, but always a possibility.

An alternative to training a cat not to scratch (akin to teaching yourself not to breathe) may be declawing. I know that many people consider this cruel but sometimes it could be the difference between being able to keep a cat and having to give one up. It's advisible to wait until you're sure the cat will remain indoors but is best done in the first year (can be done later, mine was done at 4 years). A declawed cat can still defend itself without the claws -declawing usually only means the front paws, the cat will still have it's back claws as well as its teeth.

This sentence was a little confusing on first read:
>>If you have other pets, however, a kitten may be a good choice because it will be more willing than a grown cat to accept that they are in charge.<<
At first I thought it meant the kitten would be in charge. Maybe change it to '...to accept that others are in charge.' or '... to accept that it's not in charge.'

I did get a chuckle out of this: '... choose reasonably independent cats...' smiley - laugh They're *all* independent! Although I did follow your meaning.

Great job! smiley - ok

Key: Complain about this post