A Conversation for Googol - an Unimaginably Large Number

Infinity seems smaller than a googol - why?

Post 1

Vestboy II not playing the Telegram Game at U726319

I thought I could cope - somehow - with the concept of infinity or eternity in the sense that you don't have to put a value to it. Then someone too clever by half asks me to think about a googol. All the cake icing balls you can eat and then some... The very thought of laying all these balls along the M25 to a height of 1 metre. And where were they kept before you started laying them? And don't even worry about that because someone is busy hollowing out the planet to fit more of them just to show you how useless laying them along the M25 was.
And if you thought a planetful was enough, pshah, that's a gnat's speck on a whale's bottom of a whiff of an atom of how big this is.
Have a heart!

Cracking entry Grommit!

Post 2

Gnomon - time to move on

Post 3

*lowers eyebrow*

Post 4

5th Earth (speaker to the void)

Just don't think about a googolplex... If you take every one of those silver balls filling the universe, and make every one of them a universe itself, and then empty and refill every one of those universe-balls the proverbial "once a second" for 4,000 years, then you end up with a googolplex.

smiley - headhurts

Post 5

Mort - a middle aged Girl Interrupted

smiley - laugh How do you think i felt - I had to sub it!! I tried not to think about it but couldn't smiley - headhurtssmiley - laugh

Post 6

Jexai

Ouch...my head hurts smiley - yikes

Post 7

The uncanny thing about this is that I can handle the idea of fitting a universe into a cake icing ball much more easlily than I can handle the idea of a big number... Could someone pass me the sherry?

Post 8

kailasham

Talking of infinity we must bear in our mind that infinity is a concept and not a numbersmiley - biggrinKeeping this in mind we can safely say that whatever large number you take,there is another number more than thatsmiley - biggrin

Post 9

mamuomar

infinity can seem smaller because its a concept

but it has no limit so it is no number, wheras the googol is finite

i reckon ur heads saying

all are one and one is all

hope that helps

smiley - smiley

Key: Complain about this post