A Conversation for Nepal

Time for an update

Post 1

Katya

This post is well out of date. For a start, the King is no longer in power. Nepal is now a republic. All tuk-tuks in Kathmandu are electric or LPG, not that this has made much of an impact on the pollution there, which is appalling. And isn't it about time we stopped referring to "Sherpa Tenzing"? His name was Tenzing Norgay, a remarkable humble man. He deserves more respect than to be referred to as if he was a porter.

Time for an update

Post 2

sprout

Sherpas are not the same thing as porters...

But yes, Nepal has undoubtedly changed since I wrote this - feel free to put a rewrite through peer review - mark it as an update.

If you drop me a line on my page, more than happy to look at a draft.

smiley - cheers

sprout

Time for an update

Post 3

h2g2 Guide Editors

The update has now been done and put live. It will be promoted on next Monday's Front Page.

Time for an update

Post 4

Tams

If you really want to be pedantic, his name doesn't read as a Western name does. Norgay isn't a surname; Sherpas, or rather Sherwas don't have surnames. I won;t go any further though, as that would go too far off-topic.

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more