This is the Message Centre for Websailor

My Heart is still Thumping!!!

Post 1281

Websailor

Hi, Everyone,

smiley - discoNEWSFLASHsmiley - disco

** Springwatch with Bill Oddie **
Three weeks of live nature programmes kick off.
Daily Monday to Thursday at 8pm on BBC Two. Reshowing following evening at 7pm on BBC Four.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/springwatch

I don't know if people outside the UK can see it. Technology is moving so fast I can't keep up.smiley - run

Websailorsmiley - dragon

Post 1282

scorp

Sorry WS, must read your post tomorrow, am so verrrrrrrrrrrry tired now.

night night God bless.

Scorpiosmiley - witch

Post 1283

SuperMoo: Now With Even More Online-ness

most of the time the storms really aren't too bad...the people up in indiana right now are probably getting it just as bad if not worse than a lot of the storms that trek across florida...I know a tropical storm passed right over our house once...but if I didn't know about it I'd have figured it was just an especial strong cluster of summer storms...well...other than the more tropical rain...dunno how to explain it...but rain from a tropical cyclone seems to smell different...might just be my imagination though...

Post 1284

Also Ran1-hope springs eternal

Thanks websailorsmiley - dragon

K and I will be watching

Am going to get to the website of the geese and hopefully enrol K. as a supporter of Operation Migration. Will try writing snailmail and see if it gets to you!! Your address is hopefully on my computer which is being upgraded.

Have a great day

Christiane AR1 smiley - schooloffish

Do read the posting SWEPT AWAY of Mr. Phred. It is riveting and the webcam photographs are quite brilliant.

Post 1285

Prof Animal Chaos.C.E.O..err! C.E.Idiot of H2G2 Fools Guild (Official).... A recipient of S.F.L and S.S.J.A.D.D...plus...S.N.A.F.U.

tain't the same, but!

http://www.mbayaq.org/efc/cam_menu.asp

Post 1286

Websailor

My thanks to whoever fixed the glitches experienced last night, and smiley - sorry to everyone for not being able to post the following:

25th May 06
Weather: Dry, Mild and humid. Rain later.

We have had a smiley - thief in the night again! Some time between 11pm when I checked the dishes, and 11.45pm *someone* had opened both Badger dishes. I couldn't tell if any food had been eaten, but I am mystified that the Sensor Alarm didn't go off. I can only guess that it was a smiley - cat or fox entering from the front garden, or over the side fences nearer the house, thus missing the Sensor.smiley - grr I shall have to keep watch for a while and see if I can find out. I suspect it might be Fluff, who seems to like bird food, including peanuts and raisins, and water too!

smiley - discoAt least the Sensor is working as it went off at 12.20am while I was still reading. A Badger was coming up the garden, being joined by a second Badger at 12.22am.smiley - somersault They came up to the tall bird table together, one coming in front to the stone table, which the other one hung around in the background. The first Badger knocked the table top off sharply, telling me it was Mrs. B. She sat down to eat and the second Badger came slowly up the path, sniffing and exploring as he did so, but hesitantly. He reached the new dish, having passed 'Mum', and stood up to eat from the dish. Having finished it off he moved over to join 'Mum' at the table and they both cleared the remains on the floor. smiley - eureka This is the first time I have seen two so close together and obviously happy in each other's company. I have to say it gave me quite a buzz, as I am now sure that this is a new Cub.smiley - biggrin

smiley - bluelight They stayed together for 2/3 minutes, then Mum checked out the new dish, which just required a lick, smiley - drool then came to the patio dish, while Cub ate at the table. Cub had a mini-mooch while Mum was at the patio dish, but then she went down to have a drink at the dustbin lid, and Cub snuck in to the patio to give the patio dish the once over!!smiley - rofl Mum was mooching, and clearly waiting for Cub, when he ran down the path, past Mum, behind the Silver BIrch tree and exited centre at 12.44am, followed by Mum at 12.45am.

The Sensor did not go off again during the night (I checked) so Boss Man must have dined elsewhere, but a Wood Pigeon woke me at 6am.smiley - steam

FRID. MORNING

Heavy rain in the latter part of the night filled the dishes, making them easier to clean, and the Great Tits, Bluesmiley - tit and Robins surrounded me as I put out the Mealworms. The temptation to put more than their ration in the dishes had to be resisted, as I realised it was a Bank Holiday weekend, and if I ran out of stocks I would probably be ambushed.smiley - rofl The Great Tits look so smart and perky, are a joy to watch and are quite fearless. The Blue smiley - tit have found the biscuit crumbs to their liking again. The Cotoneaster is covered in smiley - star like flowers, and the Orange Blossom is covered in buds. A little sun will bring the blooms out in their full glory, with the rather overpowering perfume! I am glad something else is appearing as the Lilac is now covered in dead brown flower heads, and the Bluebells are looking very sorry for themselves.

PHM went out to catch the smiley - bus to play bowls, and nearly stepped on a baby Bluesmiley - tit in the middle of the road. Mum was in the tree chirping away but did nothing. So PHM ushered the little thing up on to the grass verge, hoping no-one had seen him apparently talking to himself, or his feet.smiley - roflsmiley - somersault

Birds are flitting in and out, but the long grass seems to be putting them off feeding. Only the big birds can cope with it. The Badger tracks are clearly visible, with a flattened trail of grass where they shuffle up and down! smiley - footprintsThere are not as many Starlings at the moment so I think they are finding plenty of natural food, although the same can't be said for the Jays who are practically resident. I must pop off and put some new peanuts in the feeders while it is not raining. See you all later, maybe.

Well that was wishful thinking, wasn't it? smiley - steam Friday night's offering to follow later, when I have caught up.

A1, those photos of Phred's were lovely weren't they? What a way to spend your life. All right for some, but nice of them to share it.

Websailorsmiley - dragon

Post 1287

Websailor

Friday 26th May 06
Weather: Dry, mild and humid

The mayhem started at 11.40pm when the Sensor just kept on going. It was Fluff and another cat - Gingersmiley - devil I think, but the NVS beaches the colour of some animals, so I can't be sure. Fluff 'did a Badger', standing on hind legs to eat from the stone table, before both smiley - cats exited via the front entrance without touching the dishes. I had put slates as well as rocks on top to deter raiders!

!2.25am smiley - disco and Boss Man headed straight for the patio dish, moving aside the obstacles in one shove. While he was eating a cat came up the path, and tried to get through the opening on to the patio, jumping in surprise at sight of the Badger. He crept along the wall, round the BBQ and through the front entrance very quietly.smiley - rofl Boss Man moved to the new dish, but found this more difficult to open being on grass.smiley - grr He moved to the table and accidentally knocked it over. After eating for a few seconds he positively galloped down the garden and disappeared left at 12.37am.

By 12.42am it became obvious that Friday night is the smiley - cat's 'night on the tiles' and the Sensor kept going off repeatedly until I had really had enough.smiley - steam At one stage I was watching, and the Alarm was going off right beside me, but I couldn't see anything near the Sensor in the garden. I had this feeling that Gingersmiley - devil or Fluff was sitting the other side of the nettles, out of sight, and just waving a paw or tail to make the Sensor light come on and off!smiley - tongueincheeksmiley - rolleyes I really wouldn't put it past them to taunt me like this! I have seen the looks they give me during the day.smiley - rofl I switched off in desperation, smiley - sorry, and as I did so Fluff appeared and walked arrogantly across the garden, climbed the fence and disappeared. smiley - nahnahsmiley - nahnah

The new dish was unopened at 1.32am but was emptied when I looked at 3.05am. smiley - wah I missed it/them!!

SATURDAY MORNING - showery.

Two Collared Doves were courting on the patio, a Magpie was trying desperately to get at the Mealworms in the Guardian. Fluff was doing sentry duty on the fence post, giving me a baleful look, and next door's new smiley - cat is spending yet more time in our garden.smiley - grr My Welsh Poppies, Peonies, Chives and Sage are all in bloom and look lovely. I get a surprise of one sort or another every time I go outside.

The swifts were hurtling around in the sky screaming their heads off, after insects. Still can't cut the lawn. By the time I get to it it will take all day.smiley - cry Been scribbling againsmiley - biro and have to make some Badges tomorrow, so I had better get off and get some smiley - sleepysmiley - zzz

It's nice to have you back online HooToo and friends. I missed you.smiley - biggrin

Websailorsmiley - dragon

Post 1288

Hi websailorsmiley - dragon

S pleased you enjoyed the photos of Mr. Phred. on the posting of SWEPT AWAY. What I liked was that it was so easy to access them.

Granddaughter has arrived. What a joy to see her and have her stay.

Have a lovely Sunday and also a good night watch. Loved the story of Cub.

AR1 smiley - schooloffish

Post 1289

Websailor

Sat. 27th May 06
Weather: Mild, Dry, Breezy overnight

It was a lovely night for Badger watching and I was looking forward to it. However, the smiley - devil is leading the local smiley - catsmiley - blackcatsmiley - cat astray. I am not sure if the people they own have smiley - snork off and left them to their own devices for the Bank Holiday weekend but they really are being ever so naughty!! From 11pm onwards they were creating havoc with the Sensor. It nearly blew a gasket, or it would have done if it had one.smiley - rofl By midnight I just had to switch it off or I would have blown a fuse or gone smiley - batsmiley - bat!!

smiley - disco My natural alarm system woke me at 2.12am in time to see a Badger trotting down the garden. I don't think this was our first visitor for both dishes were almost empty and the table was tipped over. He/she wandered down the path and mooched around for a while happily picking up peanuts. Eventually the neighbour's halogen light came on and disturbed Brock who ran off, exiting stage left in a hurry. Unfortunately I didn't get the chance to ID which Brock it was, which was a pity.

I smiley - sleepysmiley - zzz then until nearly 8am, the longest undisturbed sleep I have had in ages.smiley - biggrin I was sorry to miss the badgerssmiley - wah but I had a heavy day ahead of me Sunday so it was just as well.

SUNDAY
The birds were flying round my head and under my feet this morning as I tried to put the Mealworms out. The Starlings were in a row, sitting in our gutteringsmiley - grr and the Blackbirds were singing their heads off in the trees. The lame on, Hopalong, is still surviving, but it is a worry! The Robin came and gave me a disapproving look, before grabbing a couple of worms and flying off. It seems I am not allowed a lie insmiley - biggrin even on a Sunday! Wood Pigeons, Magpies, Starlings, Bullfinches, Blue smiley - tit Great Tits, Robins, Collared Doves and a Jay all visited, and pestered me during the course of the day, but no Woodpecker.smiley - sadface

smiley - eureka I have managed to get out and cut the lawn and tidy up. It took over half a day and I am cream crackered but it is so nice not to be looking at a scruffy field. The birds were down in seconds, happily pecking away.smiley - smiley I think the Badgers will be pleased tonight too. ("Now then, boys and girls, no holes in the nice neat lawn tonight please, though you can pull the weeds out of the path for me, if you would be so kind!"). The clearing up and cleaning mower and strimmer takes longer than the actual job.smiley - grr I also got the Badge order done for a friend, finished smiley - biro my article , and sent off to smiley - thepost, Sunday lunch cooked, bird feeders cleaned and re-stocked and the badger food done for tonight. Phew! Thank goodness for a spell on HooToo for a rest.smiley - jester It is amazing the effect a bit of sunshine has on me!!

See you all tomorrow, hopefully with more Badger news this time,

smiley - cheers
Websailorsmiley - dragon

Post 1290

Prof Animal Chaos.C.E.O..err! C.E.Idiot of H2G2 Fools Guild (Official).... A recipient of S.F.L and S.S.J.A.D.D...plus...S.N.A.F.U.

bbc test the nation tonight, on the planet!...I got 43 out of 65smiley - laugh

Post 1291

Researcher U1025853

Websailor, you have a cub!! Wow how exciting. smiley - magic

Life has been taking over these past few weeks, but last week we were taking a break at the ponds, when we heard young birds chirping. I looked around to see if I could find out where they were coming from and a woodpecker flying in, led me straight to where they were coming from!

Spent some time there today taking photos, of both the parents. The young are not peeking out yet, so a little while longer to go. My lens is not great, but I shall blow the photos up and see what I can get. Before I moved to the London suburbs I had never seen a woodpecker, now we are spoilt for them. So anyone who hasn't seen a Greater Spotted woodpecker and wants to come to South London, just let me know and I can guarantee seeing 2 of them and maybe even young ones too!

Post 1292

Congratulations Prof.animal chaos!!

Unfortunately I switched it on only half way through. But I was quite pleased with what I appeared to know as I switched it on in my bedroom so watched the end. I thought it was such a good idea to have such a quiz.
I thought the young 19 year old "explorer" could have got better "kudos" when she beat everyone else in the studio.
Amazing how little people in the street knew. They should have more programmes like that to make us all aware of how we absolutely HAVE to save energy. But then I suppose that the utility companies will up their prices!!

My very dear Websailorsmiley - dragon

I am so glad that you managed to have a good night's sleep, even if the neighbour's whatever they were, were playing havoc with the sensor.
They say that smiley - cats and pets are the reason why so many song birds are disappearing from gardens. I know that my neighbour across the road has 17 cats in her house!. when I went to visit her, there was a cat sitting on each step of the flight of steps up tothe first floor. It was quite eerie!.
I am afraid that I go chasing them away every time I see them come near my garden!!
I make loud noises, and wave my arms around in a fearsome fashion, much to the embarassment of my son!!/
Much affection,
Christiane smiley - schooloffish

Post 1293

Oh Kaz,

How fortunate you are. I have never seen a woodpecker. I have heard a cuckoo, and I believe that one can go and hear nightingales in the woods outside of Canterbury, but have never done this myself.
I wonder if south London is near where I live? I would love to take you up on your invitation.

Keep goikng!!

Sincerely,

AR1 <schooloffish

Post 1294

AR1, I agree with you, more programs, but if you notice, its always us that have to save, why don't they turn shop lights off when shut, they have good alarm systems, hosepipe bans for us, but car washes still operate(they say the water is recycled)but how do they get the soap outsmiley - laughsmiley - laugh

Post 1295

Websailor

Animal, I didn't even know Test the Nation was on!! I think I am getting so wrapped up in my wildlife, the TV is a poor second best.

You are so right about it always being 'us' that has to save or cut back. Just take a look at all the buildings lit up all night, just to provide a skyline view! I wrote for smiley - thepost a while back about unnecessary lighting etc. It really is ridiculous.

You have to go deep in to the countryside now to experience real darkness which can't be good for birds, animals or us.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kaz,

You are so lucky. Our Woodpeckers have not been coming so often since the fat was taken down. I haven't even managed to see two together yet!

And yes, we have another Cub, and it is very mischievous. Not nearly as shy and subdued as Missie was last year. More about it later.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

AR1,

I love the idea of you waving our arms around and shouting at the smiley - cat I'm afraid it is a waste of time with ours. They just stand there looking at me with that "Come on, make my day' look! I am not going to dwell on the fact that the cats are taking their toll on our Songbirds. They make me cross enough as it is.smiley - grr

smiley - tasmiley - ta for now. I will drop in later. I did too much yesterday, of the physical kind, and ache all over today, so I am going to have a bit of a rest. It is raining and breezy with sunny spells, so I am so glad I got the lawn cut yesterday. It is smiley - brr with it too!

Websailorsmiley - dragon

Post 1296

the tip of the iceberg or whatsmiley - smiley
http://hardware.silicon.com/desktops/0,39024645,39158829,00.htm

Post 1297

Websailor

Reading that I should think the iceberg is melting, and fast. What a wastesmiley - grr

Sun. 28th May 06
Weather: Dry, mild and very breezy.

The Sensor went off at 10.52pm and although I thought it was a smiley - cat I decided I'd better look, just in case! It was a Fox. He had a quick look round, had a few peanuts and went about three minutes later. He didn't venture up to the table or dishes.

12.08am The flippin' Sensor keeps going off, and even stood next to the receiver when it goes off, I can't see a thing moving. It must be something ferreting around in the undergrowth.smiley - yikes However, something has again attempted to open the dishes, without much success!smiley - somersault

smiley - discosmiley - disco12.10am and a Badger appeared, racing up the garden to the new dish. He attacked the dish, having trouble getting the top off at first. He ate some out of it then rushed up to the patio dish, again having trouble with that!! Definitely not one of our seasoned visitors this?! He kept eating, but was banging his snout with the lid . smiley - dontpanic - it is only a plastic plate! He soon got fed up with that and decided to try the table.smiley - drool

This is definitely the new Cub.smiley - hug He dashed up to the table and hit it full tilt, knocking it over and giving himself a shock.smiley - yikes He ate a little, and honestly I can only liken him to a child let loose in a sweet shop!! He was rushing this way and that, trying everything but always looking for something better.

I am even more sure this is a male Cub, as it has a totally different temperament from Missie, our cub of last year. She was shy, slow to relax, ate delicately and was always wary.smiley - smiley This one is bolshy, always in a hurry, confident but doesn't think things through. He hasn't learnt his table manners smiley - spork yet either.smiley - grr After sampling all the food on offer, he had a quick drink (see what I mean about being male?!) and charged down the garden full pelt, exiting centre at 12.23am. I was exhausted just watching him.smiley - somersault

The Sensor was going off about every ten minutes, but in spite of several checks I could see nothing.smiley - weird I switched the Sensor off at 1.40am and went to smiley - sleepy At 3.01am all the food had gone, so at least one Badger had been back and cleaned up the mess.smiley - biggrinsmiley - applause However, I did find a smiley - cat standing on the patio, staring in to the Lilac Tree base, then mooching behind the BBQ. Frog or Wood Mouse? I don't know. but it kept him transfixed for several minutes.

TODAY (Mon) A Bank Holiday so what do you expect here in the UK? You've guessed it - Weather: Sunny spells, heavy showers, colder than yesterday and quite windy.smiley - brr

The birds have been coming in two by two, except for the Great Tits and Bluesmiley - tit. A Wood Pigeon went for a paddle in the bird table, both of which are full of water.smiley - snork All the Mealworms went double quick this morning, so they must have been hungry. I am so glad I have got covered feeders now as all the worms would have drowned. Yes, I know they are destined for a sticky end anyway, but the birds like them live and wriggly.smiley - roflsmiley - rolleyessmiley - yuk

All is quiet on the Webbie front, so there must be a lot of natural food around. I am off for some smiley - tea and smiley - cake. See you later, maybe.

Websailorsmiley - dragon

Post 1298

Researcher U1025853

Went to see the woodpeckers today and one chick was squeaking a lot louder than before, so we know whos getting all the food.

Seriously if anyone fancies the slow train from Victoria or London Bridge (30 minutes) to Waddon, the ponds are 10 minutes walk from the station. Just let me know! Obviously, any photos which are any good will be on fotki, I hope a couple are okay.

Websailor, do you have any photos of the new cub yet? I have missed just over 100 postings, did I miss anything which is worth going back over?

Post 1299

Websailor

Laz,

Probably only the sighting of three Badgers together, confirming what I believed. I doubt I shall get to see the four together, but you never know.smiley - biggrin Wildlife has an ability to do the most surprising things.

No photos. Don't have the equipment unfortunately. I have already spent a fortune on Night Vision Scopes, and I don't think it is worth investing in cameras etc. with my current computer. Maybe in the future. I think the Badgers will be around longer than me, so long as I keep feeding them and the birds.

Did you see Springwatch tonight? It seems the Wood smiley - mouseMouse living in my shed could have six families in a year.smiley - yikes So I could be seeing smiley - mousesmiley - mousesmiley - mousesmiley - esuomsmiley - esuomsmiley - esuom everywhere. At least I know if the smiley - cat and Badgers catch any there will still be some around. They are so cute! No wonder the peanuts and sunflower seeds disappear at such a rate.smiley - smiley I haven't seen her for a while, but there is evidence she is still around.

Three weeks of watching wildlife on the TV. I don't know how I shall fit it all in, but it will be worth the effort.

Websailorsmiley - dragon

Post 1300

Very dear Websailorsmiley - dragon

Yes K. and I watched it last night. Their badgers are certainly not as co-operative as yours. I loved the otters thought. that guy King is really good and |I enjoy his commentaries.
I would like to suggest that they have a part of the programme when they let people like you show what you have achieved in encouraging wildlife into our gardens. I think it would be fascinating, it might also help to pay for a camera, or a webcam so that you can record what you see. I wonder how I would go about suggesting that.? Surely the editors of POST could do that.?
I also noticed that the woodmice multiplied at an alarming rate. So I suppose that it is a good thing thatyou have observant smiley - cats around, as long as they keep their eyes firmly focussed onto the ground and not looking up to the trees!!.

Granddaughter here today and off this afternoon back to Holland.

Thanks for a lovely beginning to the day.
big smiley - hugChristianeAR1 smiley - schooloffish

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Websailor

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more