A Conversation for Talking Point: Bad Food

Airline food

Post 1

SDI Divemaster

I can eat just about anything. When someone asks me if a particular food bothers me, I generally say 'No, I'll eat anything. Heck, I'm pretty sure I could eat a light bulb.' But I was on an airplane once and was served a (note the quotation marks) 'hot meatloaf sandwhich'. I took a bit of this slimy, foul tasting, sticky, thing and spit it out into the plastic tray in which it was delivered. I think I must have looked a bit like the Tom Hanks character in the movie 'Big' when he tried caviar with simialr results.

And although I can eat it, I don't particularly care for the way caviar pops when you eat it. I would eat it if it were part of an entree' again, but I doubt I would cross a room to sample it if it were served as an hors d'ouvre.

A nice slimy, salty, raw oyster, however, is a delight to be savored.

Airline food

Post 2

toybox

Oysters smiley - yuk Never managed to gulp down more than three in my entire life (drowning them in vinegar sauce and washing them down with white wine, too). Same for sea urchins.

Airline food

Post 3

Amy: ear-deep in novels, poetics, and historical documents.

I was given a "green salad" on my flight to the UK this September.

It was green, but it sure didn't taste like salad. smiley - yuk

Airline food

Post 4

Al Johnston

Reminds me of the "Not the Nine O'Clock News" Sketch with the air crash survivors:

"So you actually ate the airline food?"

"We had to: we'd already eaten all the passengers."

smiley - devilsmiley - pirate

Airline food

Post 5

Eriksen

To be honest, I've never tasted any not-good airline food. When I travelled to Malta, I got tortellini (pasta with something inside them), the ones I got was filled with spinach. It wasn't all that bad. The worst thing I got at that trip was garlic bread. Food I gave my mother or sister instead with only a short comment: "Please throw this out the window".

Airline food

Post 6

Amy: ear-deep in novels, poetics, and historical documents.

Aside from that odd salad, I've had mostly pretty good airline food. When I first came to the UK in June, I had a lovely pasta and sauce meal on AA - but that may have been an illusion as I'd been up since 3am EST and was starving. smiley - winkeye

Airline food

Post 7

Bob The Boilerman - Chief Engineer and Procrastinator

I have found airline food to be uncommonly good, with the odd exception. But why oh why do most airlines insist that breakfast includes a rubbery omlette or minced up scrambled egg.

I hate eggs !!!

That'll be a large G&T instead then !

Airline food

Post 8

AgProv2

Has the quality of British airline food actually been improved marginally by an all-out strike on the part of the people who make it?

Airline food

Post 9

Opticalillusion- media mynx life would be boring without hiccups

I don't touch plane food with a barge pole. I hate the stuff they serve you and carry my own stuff. Just have to be careful that it is eaten before arriving at the chosen destination.

Key: Complain about this post