This is the Message Centre for bigphil

something new

Post 1

bigphil

This is new to me. I finally have a place to discuss the hitchikers guide and things of interest and a place to share a story. Let's write it and see.

The story is my personal favorite 42 story. I work in retail management and get to talk to and work with a large cross section of the community. This includes attractive young ladies who while polite seem to take a while to learn. The girl in question refused to understand that asking "Can I ask you a question?" means you already have asked one. I know you are supposed to encourage employees to ask questions, but I believe it is important to get them to learn to think for themselves and ask meaningful questions. Jamie would come up and ask "Can I ask you a question?" so I started with explaining "You already have but what do you need?" This did not make my point so I tried 42 as in "Can I ask you a question?" "42" and turn to walk away. She would ask the other question on her mind, and I would answer. After about a month she finally got the nerve up to ask about 42. I explained it was the answer to life, the universe, and everything and she just had to figure out how it applied. This got a confused look and gave me a chance to introduce her to Hitchhikers. Wait this gets better. One afternoon Jamie came running at full speed across the store. She stopped directly in front of me posted to attention gave and out of breath yell of "FORTY TWO! Now I need to know where ..." I do not remember what she needed, but I know I laughed for 15 minutes after she got her answer. If you have never had a pretty young out of breath girl stand at attention and yell 42 at you try it its fun.

Key: Complain about this post

something new

More Conversations for bigphil

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more