A Conversation for Lancaster University, UK

Peer Review: A1934516 - Lancaster University, UK

Post 1

Dinnerlady [The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom]William Blake. Top lad:)

Entry: Lancaster University, UK - A1934516
Author: Dinnerlady - U240568

A rather dry summary of the place I spent 3 drunken years.
Any comments/additions welcome.

Mel

A1934516 - Lancaster University, UK

Post 2

Otto Fisch ("Stop analysing Strava.... and cut your hedge")

Greetings!

This is a great start! I've only visited Lancaster Uni a few times during away fencing matches, and it seemed a nice place.

A few suggstions - I think the references to the Sunday Times league table should probably be dated - it's likely to change in future years (one way or another!).

Secondly, what are the students like, and what sort of courses are on offer? The Sunday Times listing is good, but it's also good to get an idea of the range of available subjects.

Thirdly, any good campus myths, legends, traditions, or special events that set Lancaster apart from other institutions? When we used to fence Lancs, I think I heard someone say that there was an annual 'Roses' sports event against York University - did I imagine that, or does that still happen? Any local rivalries with other institutions, or anything like that?

Best wishes

Otto

Post 3

Dinnerlady [The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom]William Blake. Top lad:)

I've entered something about the Wars of the Roses, any more comments, anyone?

Thanks

Mel

Post 4

I know not many people will have been there, but has anyone got any comments on the composition, even if the content is alien to you?

Thanks

Mel

Post 5

Atlantic_Cable

I'd change the sections to either the tag or . If you don't the sub probably will, and it will look neater.

Nice entry. Makes me want to write one about my own university.

And that's the sign of a good entry. It makes you want to write one of your own.

smiley - smiley

Post 6

Metal Chicken

Hi Dinnerlady
I was at Lancaster University myself for a year some ahem 15 or so years ago. No time to read this just now (I'm late for work as it is) but I will come back and comment as soon as I can, promise. smiley - smiley

Post 7

Header tags done.
Mel

Post 8

Metal Chicken

Right, have now had a read through. Generally looks OK as an introduction to the university. Definitely needs a date adding to the Sunday Times data - or just add a comment that this was the case "at the time of writing".
I think there's room for fleshing things out a bit more. Maybe try and give the reader a feel of what you think makes Lancaster a good, bad or indifferent place to study and live as a student.
Might be worth mentioning the distinctive shape of the Chaplaincy Centre and that that's used as the university logo.
You name all the colleges, but it'd be even better if you could include even one fact or comment about each. For example, County college (where I was) is the only one that's not named after a local area. Instead it's named for the County Council who were a major contributor of funds when the college was built. Or that Pendle College is named for the hill reknowned for the witches of Pendle and I'm sure I remember something about a witch and the bar. (Being at the other end of the campus to County it wasn't my regular bar, just the last stop in any bar crawl across all the colleges.

Just a few thoughts for you. Feel free to ignore as you please smiley - winkeye
If I can help any more, just ask, but my memories of the place are obviously a bit out of date...

MC

Post 9

Mine are pretty out of date too! (left in 1993, and there's been a million new buildings & all sorts of changes since then).
Anyway, I've added a few extra bits.

Comments welcome - anyone who's been there since I left would be highly appreciated!

Mel

Post 10

Metal Chicken

Just received the latest copy of Steps, the Lancaster Uni alumni magazine. smiley - yikes You're not kidding about all the building changes and new development. From the plans, when it's all finished they'll have almost doubled the size of the campus from what I remember!

Post 11

Alison (ACE)

I'm there at the moment, so if you have any questions about it now... Okay, so I've just started this year, but if I don't know I could probably find out!

I think this entry is really good. Where you mention the spine - you might like to elaborate a bit, maybe mention that it's a walkway that goes right from the north to the south of the campus and that you can get almost the whole way undercover if it's raining (which it does a lot in Lancs!!) Also, apparently, there are sections where it used to be completely covered but it caused such a huge wind tunnel effect that they had to take half the covering off. Lengthways, if you see what I mean... smiley - erm If you can think of a way of explaining this better than me anyway!

Also, you might like to say a bit about what makes each college distinctive. For example Fylde being known as the sporty college, Pendle the posh college cos the rooms there are so much nicer than everyone else's!! etc. I don't know if you'd be able to think of something for each one though. You could maybe put the logo thing of each college, I dunno. Up to you.

Hope this helped, Alison smiley - rainbow

Post 12

Alison (ACE)

Okay, so someone's already suggested explaining a bit about each college... possibly that's where I got the idea from then smiley - whistle

That post gave me another thought - you could mention that Lancaster is a particularly good uni to do a campus bar crawl of cos there are 8 (9 if you count Grad) bars - one in each college - and being a campus they're all quite close together so you don't have to walk too far in between each bar! smiley - ok

Post 13

Mark the Strange

Are the Medici String Quartet still based at Lancaster?

My wife studied violin with them in 1987 - 89

Post 14

egon

My attention was drawn to the colleges being named after places of interest in the North West (Okay, mainly because my middle name is "lonsdale", but that's rather beside the point.) It could be intresting to provide more details about why those places were chosen. Is "Lonsdale" a reference to Kirby lonsadale, or is there another Lonsdale I'm unaware of (at least I presume I'm not a place of interest)

Post 15

Woodpigeon

Hi there!

Very good entry, quite comprehensive - some quick comments. I would like to see more detail about the different schools / colleges within the uni - just a list of names seems rather dull. Even a one-sentence description might help.

My reaction to the magic mushroom comment is a bit smiley - erm iffy. I'm not certain whether it has a place in the article, but that's just me.

Not many changes required to this though! Good stuff smiley - cheers

smiley - peacedoveWoodpigeon

Post 16

I'm not sure about the string quartet - I'll try to look it up. I've added a bit about the ease of bar crawls, but I'm not sure if that ends up consigning the entry to the "we're so cool cos we get drunk" type of entry, rather than a factual, slightly affectionate overview.

I'd love to keep the magic mushroom comment in though - it'd be a fallacy to pretend that students aren't enormous users of recreational drugs..... although of course I will bow to the majority vote on this point.

I'm pondering adding more to the college paragraohm with a sentence about each one's name/something else, although I'm not sure all of them have enough interesting to say about them. Again, I'm open to suggestions.
Mel

Post 17

histrel

Hi
Am a post-grad here at the moment. After St Martin's (in Lancaster itself) LU is a BIG place. Didn't know about the magic mushrooms, as a mature student and mother of two I'd better not sample them. Definitely leave that bit in! Could maybe include more on the social events. I know there are quiz leagues and I've heard tell of football and other sports. What about the Ruskin library?
Good luck smiley - smiley

Post 18

Sam

Hello Dinnerlady! How are you getting along with this 'ere entry, then? Is it nearly ready to go in? Indeed, is it ready now!? smiley - smiley

Post 19

I'm happy with it - I'd love it to go in, if you think it's ready.
Cheers
Mel

Congratulations - Your Entry has been Picked for the Edited Guide!

Post 20

h2g2 auto-messages

Your Guide Entry has just been picked from Peer Review by one of our Scouts, and is now heading off into the Editorial Process, which ends with publication in the Edited Guide. We've therefore moved this Review Conversation out of Peer Review and to the entry itself.

If you'd like to know what happens now, check out the page on 'What Happens after your Entry has been Recommended?' at EditedGuide-Process. We hope this explains everything.

Thanks for contributing to the Edited Guide!

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Lancaster University, UK

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more