A Conversation for Talking Point: Smoking in Public Places

A different spin on civil liberties

Post 1

Dylstra

I'm asthmatic and as such extremely sensitive to lung irritation. (This obviously includes many more things than just cigarette smoke but I'll confine my discussion to that one topic.)

It is all well and good to argue that nobody has the right to tell someone whether they can or cannot smoke, but if people are allowed to smoke in public places then they are effectively telling me that I can't go there, unless I want to have an asthma attack.

People choose to smoke. People don't choose to have asthma (and other conditions that make them sensitive to smoke). My point is that people other than smokers have rights that need to be considered. I'm not saying that a blanket ban is the answer, I'm just adding to the discussion.

Post 2

kelli - ran 2 miles a day for 2012, aiming for the same for 2013

"People choose to smoke..."

People choose to start smoking, but find it very difficult to stop...

Post 3

Deb

My mum's asthmatic, and I've seen her gasping for breathe in public places because....someone's perfume is too strong. So should the wearing of perfume be banned in public places?

Just for the record, I'm a non-smoker, so I'm not trying to defend my rights.

Deborah smiley - towel

Post 4

TeaKay

Certain people who seem to marinate in perfume should at least be spoken to with a firm word, if not banned smiley - winkeye

TKsmiley - pirate

Post 5

Also Ran1-hope springs eternal

Dear Kelli,
I am so glad that I have found you again!!

I am sorry that you have had so much trouble with moving. Is this the house that you were going to buy last year? Or another one>

And how exciting to see the northern lights!! and from a plane over the Artic circle.

Were you lecturing in the States.? Your new job is going wonderfully well even if you are having a lot of problems with the Italians.

Much affection

AR1 smiley - schooloffish

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more