This is the Message Centre for Black-Eyed Girl... Sometimes the only sane answer to an insane world is insanity!

Screaming at Celebrities

Post 1

Black-Eyed Girl... Sometimes the only sane answer to an insane world is insanity!

Ok, now maybe its coz I'm not a 'real' girl that I don't get this so maybe someone can help me out.
What is it with some people screaming at celebrities?

They're just regular people with more money than the rest of us!

Surely its much more sensible to say; "Hi, I really enjoy your work." or even "How are you?" What good is screaming doing to anyone except giving the world a bunch of deaf famous people?

You don't walk around a supermarket buying the exact same thing as your neighbour or screaming at them in the produce aisle, and if you do, then you are the reason for restraining orders! so why do people feel the need to do this just because someone was on the tv or in a film?

Let me give you a long winded example. When I was at school, Hugh Grants mum was a teacher there... strange but true. When I left school, she used to shop in the place that I had a job in. On one sunny day, she came in with Hugh and, while we were talking, he wandered in. One of the girls I was supervising that day began screaming and shaking and getting hysterical, naturally I thought that she had trapped her hand in her till or something so rushed over to help her! It turns out she was just screaming because he was there. Now, I must point out that this was not long after Four Weddings and it was her favourite film but even so, that doesn't explain the screaming.
Surely it makes much more sense to just say hi rather than getting hysterical, it certainly makes a much better story than "Hugh Grant came into my work today, I screamed at him and he went the other way and avoided me!" I know I'd prefer to hear something like; "So and so came into my work today and we chatted about broccolli!"

I can understand about being excited about meeting your fav celeb, really I do!! I mean, Im a MASSIVE fan of BtVS as you've probably already worked out and I was fortunate enough to speak with Amber Benson, whom I really admire and respect - and lets be honest she's a real hottie! - earlier this year but I had no urge to scream at her. We chatted about Leonard Nimoy of all people and the London Expo. That works out as a much better tale than, I screamed at her and she slammed the phone down on me!

During my time where I was working, I also met Richard E. Grant, all my work friends went mad trying to get me to rush from my lunch to help him just because he's famous. I was like; "I don't care, its 3pm and I'm just having lunch. He can wait til I'm done with my smoke!" Hes a really sweet guy and actually apologised for bringing me down from lunch, to which I told him I made him wait and then he thanked me for not rushing and trying to brown nose him! See.... regular people!! I did no more for him than I would for any customer and we were chatting and he noticed a birthday card that my friend had given me and sent me flowers and a bottle of champagne for my birthday! That was sweet.

So what is it that makes people think that screaming is useful at all?? Please, I honestly want to know.

The flip side of this annoys me just as much and thats celebs who expect you to jump just because they might be a tiny bit famous. One British tv presenter springs to mind, I won't mention her name because she's not worth it but she wandered into my department in really dark shades and a scarf and was hiding her face and stuff. Now this isn't a huge celeb, I mean, not even G-list and she did the thing that is more likely gonna have me rip your fingers out at the knuckle than help you! She clicked her bl**dy fingers at me and gestured to a large bag of cat litter that she wished to purchase. I looked up and raised an eyebrow before continuing with what I was doing.
I don't give a rats a$$ who you are, there's no need to be so rude!!! She then came out with the classic; "Don't you know who I am?!"
I looked her up and down and said; "No, should I, are you someone important?" and refused to help her until she used some decency.
If Freddie Mercury (who also shopped there on occassion, before his death obviously) could either lift his own compost or ask politely for some assisstance, then some cheap, second.. no third rate tv presenter can pick up a bag of cat litter!!!!
The thing is, had she just said, "Excuse me, could you help me lift this?" then I would have been more than happy to help her out, I'd have even loaded her car. But clicking your fingers is just beyond rude and irritating. I wouldn't put up with it when I was busting tables so Im not gonna put up with it when I'm managing 3 departments!!!

Anyway, if there are any screamers out there or even a stuck up celeb who thinks they're better than everyone else and knows the answers to these questions, please let me know!!!! Even nice celebrities who don't snap their fingers are welcome to answer back, just don't expect me to be all starstruck and kiss your ass. You're just a regular person with more money than me and to be honest, if I had to be famous and have people scream at me regularly or be me, then I'd prefer to be me. I'd kill all my fans!!!

Also, is it just in England that this happens? I mean, can celebs walk down the street in Hollywood and not have a single person bat an eyelid at them?

Im leaving it at that because I'm getting really angry at the whole thing.

Let me know.

Screaming at Celebrities

Post 2

LittleMissAlexandriaNicolaHassett

I Fully agree some arent even talented like paris hilton

Screaming at Celebrities

Post 3

airscotia-back by popular demand

>I Fully agree some arent even famous like paris hilton<

The second missing comma there makes all the difference between a statement of fact, and a cutting piece of sarcasm.I prefer the sarcastic version.smiley - laugh

A fine summing up on the state of 'celebrity' there Brown Eyed Girl, and more sense spoken on the subject than i've heard for a long time.smiley - ok

Screaming at Celebrities

Post 4

Should have been talented not famous.smiley - blush

Screaming at Celebrities

Post 5

And it should have been BLACK Eyed Girl, Not Brown. smiley - grr

I'll get me coat.

Screaming at Celebrities

Post 6

Black-Eyed Girl... Sometimes the only sane answer to an insane world is insanity!

Well thank you airscotia, its one of those things that really, really makes me mad as you probably can tell!

So, a good night or a long day? smiley - rofl

smiley - peacedove Will

Screaming at Celebrities

Post 7

smiley - blush A little of both i fear.

The whole celebrity adoration thing used to puzzle me, and now infuriates me. I thought it was a brilliant observation that these celebs are more likely to be impressed with someone having a normal conversation with them, than screaming in their face.smiley - laugh

I lurked over here after your query about age gaps in relationships, and it was nice to see the consensus was, age doesn't matter, respect and love do.smiley - ok I wish you well.

I tried linking to your stories from your PS. "Extra Flamey" and "Near her always" don't seem to be working though. As you've seen previously, that might just be me having a senior moment however.smiley - laugh

Screaming at Celebrities

Post 8

Well it really annoysme that people feel the need to scream at someone just because they've been on tv or in a film. I mean, if they're being attacked by a bear or on fire, then please scream, other wise just say hey!

Im hoping the relationship will work out, she's soooooooooooo amazing!! smiley - drool

The links on my PS are a bit old, I know that Flamey is having a breakdown and has been for ages, I just never got around to changing the links here but I will. In the mean time, this one will take you to all my fics and it works! yay

http://slayerfanfic.com/viewuser.php?uid=3054

Thanks for lurking, its nice to have some new names to lurk around with!

smiley - rainbow Will

Screaming at Celebrities

Post 9

LittleMissAlexandriaNicolaHassett

sorry for the lack of a comma, i was a bit drunk (not much of a change there)

Key: Complain about this post