This is the Message Centre for Snailrind

Toddy

Post 1

MrFlay

My flatmate and I ran out of honey the other day, and have yet to replace the jar. We've both had colds for the entirety of January, and hot toddies have depleted our supplies much as the colds have depleted our immune systems.

However, I'm pleased to announce that the following is an excellent cold remedy with a Canadian twist:

Chop up a bit of root ginger the size of your thumb. Boil it in water for as long as you fancy. Add the water (through a strainer) to a mug containing the juice of half a lemon and a tablespoon or more of maple syrup. Whisky to taste.

Toddy

Post 2

Snailrind

How kind of you to bring this to my attention. It's nice to try new things, and these are all ingredients we usually have in our kitchen.

It reminds me a little of a delicious drink I discovered in Holland & Barrett, called Rochester Ginger. It burns nicely as it goes down, and doesn't stop till it reaches your extremities. You have to add the whisky yourself, though.

Gothly likes to put chilli powder in hot toddies. It's great if you've got a sore throat (apparently), because it deadens the nerves there.smiley - dragon

Toddy

Post 3

MrFlay

Sounds like a daring manoeuvre. Who's Gothly?

Try my toddy! And then let me know how you get on with it.

I got a job today, teaching from Tue - Sat in the Midlands, so I'm hoping my voice holds out. I'm sounding extremely chocolatey at the moment. Perhaps I should do some temping (or tempting) on some sort of sex chat line.

Toddy

Post 4

Snailrind

I'd like to say that Gothly is the light of my life and fire of my loins; unfortunately, Nabokov thought of it first.smiley - cross Gothly is the bringer of smiley - tea in the morning.smiley - loveblush I thought I'd better start using a name on h2g2 instead of just saying "my partner" or "my spouse", because Gothly took umbrage to someone's use of the word "wifey".

We tried your toddy today. We had no whisky, so we used spiced rum. I held my nose for the first few sips, to get the full "I've got a cold" sensation. I discovered it's better that way, as the smell is confusing. It tasted really nice. I might have another one in a bit.smiley - drool

Since you're teaching drama (?), why don't you save your voice and mime instead? (Only not too loudly--you don't want to start *looking* chocolatey.)

Toddy

Post 5

MrFlay

alas, I'm teaching text work.

So, I'd better go and finish reading the Revenger's Tragedy.

Toddy

Post 6

Snailrind

The Revenger's Tragedy! Cool!smiley - biggrin Is that on a syllabus, then?

I often think that Quentin Tarantino would have done well for himself in Jacobean England.

Toddy

Post 7

MrFlay

It's for a drama foundation course. Sort of. I'm doing that and The Changeling - the idea is to use them as examples of how to prepare as actors before rehearsal. How to read the play, essentially.

Yes, the R.T. is like Tarantino, not least in its relentless homage to other plays.

Toddy

Post 8

Snailrind

I've just written a Guide Entry. Would you be so kind as to have a look over it for me? Any sort of criticism's welcome. It's here: A2263961.

Turns out your toddy is an aphrodisiac. If I were you, I'd be careful about drinking it around your flatmate. At least, if it's got spiced rum in it.smiley - drunk

Toddy

Post 9

Snailrind

Have you felt any inclination to do a guide entry yourself?

Toddy

Post 10

MrFlay

Yes, I was thinking of writing one on the National Student Drama Festival, but haven't got my sorry arse in gear to do it yet.

Toddy

Post 11

Snailrind

That's the good thing about this site: all fun and no deadlines.

I'm thinking about using my entry-writing as an excuse to gain access to my local uni's insect house--for research purposes, don't you know. They've got some delightful specimens in there, crawling up the walls and dropping off the ceilings and everything.smiley - magic They might even let me play with them.

Toddy

Post 12

MrFlay

Good idea.

Maybe I'll write an entry on the state of teaching in catholic girls' schools.

Toddy

Post 13

Snailrind

Absolutely! The world needs to know about these things.

Rather you than me, though: I understand the inmates of such places consider hockey sticks to be offensive weapons.smiley - yikes Give me a soft, yielding cockroach any day.

Toddy

Post 14

zendevil

You'd like this school!! It's possibly not too far away from you Snaily!

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.santsior.conwy.sch.uk/Insects/Insects%2520Images/chongol.JPG&imgrefurl=http://www.santsior.conwy.sch.uk/Insects/exotic.htm&h=168&w=302&sz=23&tbnid=pJ52WbOvsawJ:&tbnh=62&tbnw=112&hl=en&start=1&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dchongololos%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3Den%26lr%3Dlang_en%7Clang_fr%26sa%3DG

Please can i have some hot toddy? Don't have any whisky or rum though...ooh, or ginger either...do have curry powder, do you think i could mix that with vodka & it would work?

zdt

Toddy

Post 15

Snailrind

Ohhh!smiley - drool What a cool school! It's not a million miles away from here, either.

I thought you might like to try the recipe on this thread, Terri, hence directing you here.smiley - smiley

Toddy

Post 16

zendevil

Te he, wicked person; you have put ideas in my head now; the English shop (which is within hobbling distance) stocks ginger wine.....smiley - winkeye& i have a lesson tomorrow£££

zdt

Toddy

Post 17

Snailrind

That should *certainly* warm your cockles!

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Snailrind

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more