This is the Message Centre for Fate Amenable To Change

Whoops nearly a doppleganger blunder

Post 1

Babel17

Sorry I very nearly changed my name to FATC this evening. Glad I held
off changing there. That's the problem with coming in sooo late.
most of the names have been thought of already. So back to the old
thinking board for me.
Sorry for the near blunder.
Jools

Post 2

Fate Amenable To Change

Don't worry about it!! Someone else on another List thing is called FATC which has caused some sonfusion with me here anyway smiley - smiley
If you are going to go for an Iain Banksy name you might want to check out the forum on him cos there are quite a few of us who raided someone else's imagination ...

Post 3

JAVAM - Muse of Complicated User Pages and Navel Contemplation

Sorry that could have been me.

I have been running under that alias since reading the book early last year. Anyway first come first serve as I always say. Fair play to you FATC always been a close run thing between Fate and Ambient for me anyway.

Just hope no one is using this one here. Apologies if so, just let me know, found a list of all the ship names so not short of other options.

Do you think we are inspired or just sad?

Anyway Fate, I'm with you on the books, probably put Excession at No.1. Have you read them all?

Only SF books I would rate above Excession are the Hyperion 'Cantos' by Dan Simmons

Banks is also responsible for opening my eyes to the merits of non SF books. I had not touched a 'regular' fiction book in about 15 years when I picked up The Bridge when I was suffering from Banks Withdrawal after finishing all the 'M' ones. Bit stuffed at present though as I have finished all of them as well. Anyway it has at least enabled me to explore another genre.

Have you given Ken MacLeod a go?

Post 4

Fate Amenable To Change

I haven't read Walking On Glass.. read all his SF ones, some more than others - I do tend to reread books I like, good Sci Fi is hard to come by smiley - smiley
Excession is extremely good. Hmm. Yes I think I would also rate that as my fave too.
Any chance of seeing this list of Ship Names? That sounds groovy...

Post 5

Searching...

Post 6

Ere ye go....

http://www.phlebas.com/text/ships.html

Post 7

Fate Amenable To Change

Hey cheers smiley - smiley
And to answer your Q re: that author.. not heard of him as far as I know.. Give me some titles and it might ring bells.
Last Sci Fi I read was the Nights Dawn Trilogy by Peter F Hamilton, which started off superbly well but (I thought Anyway it) had a bit of a cop out ending.

Post 8

Fate Amenable To Change

Hmm.. They spelt Grey Area with an American spelling... Hmm... Banks would not be impressed..
I like in particular "I blame your mother".. and "I blame my mother" smiley - smiley)

Post 9

Star Faction, Stone Canal, Cassini Division.

He often gets (metaphorically) bundled with Iain B as they are mates, both Scottish, write SF and I think they both have beards.

Post 10

Babel17

LOL. haven't read him myself. Will need to check it out next time I am near a bookshop. Alternatively I could drop in to IMB's local and ask him!

Post 11

Fate Amenable To Change

Well now my summer holidays are fast approaching I am looking for summer reads.. so I shall make a note of the titles and see if I can track them down .

Post 12

Read them in order though as they are all inked and make much more sense in the order SF, SC, CD.

CD is a bit weak cmpared to the others but is still ok.

Key: Complain about this post