A Conversation for You're Giving Me...(Strange Translations)

By Jove

Post 101

KimotoCat

I regret to admnit unfamiliarity to Woodhouse, as all I know is, that I've heard the name before. But my bet is, that it beats the complex if colourful lives led in a Salman Rushdie story or the no less complex if more fantastic lives of certain J R R Tolkien characters.
But then, perhaps a short story by C S Lewis could set us all up nicely? At least most of them end up pretty neatly for most of the people involved. (Unless you're a witch, naturally!)
You other people out there, whaddaya think?

By Jove

Post 102

The Duke of Dunstable

You're not familiar with Wodehouse (Note spelling)?! Shame! Or rather not, maybe. Lots of peoplae aren't. He's the kind of author you either read all of, or just one.

C S Lewis

Post 103

Vestboy

Kimoto, It wasn't just the witches who came undone in his stories. He didn't like women. When the girls become attracted by make-up and nylons they are totally written off.

Wodehouse is now linked with the Nazis - who can we trust?

I'd quite like to live in a world inhabited by characters by Alan Bennet.

C S Lewis

Post 104

The Duke of Dunstable

Wodehouse has been linked to nazis since 1941, and this issue emerges every once in a while. Nothing new under the sun...

C S Lewis

Post 105

Vestboy

Does that make it OK?

C S Lewis

Post 106

The Duke of Dunstable

It has always been ok, because there is no known link between Wodehouse and the nazis other than him being tricked into doing some five radio broadcasts about his imprisonment. That's it. I can understand the british authorities making such a tally-ho about it, but nothing of a worse nature than this have come out of any research. So yeah, I believe old P.G was a good guy. A stupid guy, yes, but good.

The world's a good book

Post 107

KimotoCat

I gotta go look up this Wodehouse-chap. Now you guyz have made me interested!
Perhaps at Amazon or at the Gutenberg Project.
But what's so bad about being a (GOOD!!!!) character in a J R R Tolkien story? Most good guys survive. And some of them get to see Galadriel.

The world's a good book

Post 108

The Duke of Dunstable

Because in a Tolkien book it takes forever until you actually get some work done. Tolkien was what we in Sweden call "ordbajsare", which nicely interpreted means someone how uses a lot of words in describing what could be described in (a lot) fewer words...

The world's a good book

Post 109

KimotoCat

Okay, how about being a good guy in a Dostojevski-story then? At least some of those people lead some interesting lives as they go...

The world's a good book

Post 110

The Duke of Dunstable

That I might like.

The world's a good book

Post 111

KimotoCat

Like a familiar of the Karamazov-family? Not themselves, even if the patriarch Karamazov does seem to be a cheerful chap before he is killed. But a spectator of the events? Not a peasant, naturally. Somebody of esteem? Agrafena?
BTW - What's so F****** cool about ICQ anyway?

The world's a good book

Post 112

The Duke of Dunstable

Woah! Was that a consealed swearword?! Right, can't have any of that here!
ICQ is cool simply by it being yet another thingy that enables us to alienate ourselves from each other. Imagine having this lovely tool to help you in your efforts to avoid personal contact with all your dubious friends. Wonderful. Add the fact that you can make a whole bunch of new, dubious friends. What, Vestie?

The world's a good book

Post 113

Vestboy

You talking to me?
ICQ - well I think its so good because it is so simple. It is normally set up so that whenever you go online it turns itself on.
It tells you who else is online among your ICQ acquaintances and you can drop them a short note to say hello or whatever and it's instant.
They can reply in the wink of an eye in the normal way or you can request a proper chat (including more than just the two of you) which gives you a screen where you can see what they type as they type it.
Is that what you wanted to know? Oh and it's free!

Watery word for feed

Post 114

Cavebloke

There's "slake", but that's a bit old-fashioned.

Watery word for feed

Post 115

Vestboy

We've had it before and I'm still not convinced by "Slake him," where you may have used "Feed him," for food.

Watery word for feed

Post 116

Bruce

It does sound a bit like your suggesting some sort of violence be committed upon his person when you say 'slake him' - either that or its a new swearword.
Hmmm interesting possibilities -

Slake you!
Slake me!
Well, I'll be slaked!

;^)#

Watery word for feed

Post 117

Vestboy

And I wouldn't want to inttoroduce a new word for violence into the language. We've got enough as it is!

Watery word for feed

Post 118

Bruce

I think it has more potential as a proto-swearword smiley - winkeye

;^)#

Watery word for feed

Post 119

The Duke of Dunstable

Slake you! Slake you all! BWAAAHAHAHAAAA!
Something like that? Kind of has a mad-scientist-ring to it, does it not?

Watery word for feed

Post 120

Vestboy

I was going to just type "No" but I know that winds you up smiley - smiley
Yes there should be a ray or a foaming test tube in there somewhere.

Key: Complain about this post