A Conversation for You're Giving Me...(Strange Translations)

Which clitorally translates as...

Post 201

KimotoCat

Hiya all. Nope, no headache. No head either...
In some countries, they have something called 'culture', - in some they don't. In Denmark, we call it 'kultur' which, if drastically translated back, becomes 'cult-wiatch'. Fascinating, isn't it?
And imagine the 'cow-kick', which is 'kolos' or in English 'huge'...
A question for a word I would like to know in as many languages as at all possible: In Denmark, cats purr or 'spinder'. (To purr - to 'spinde'.) 'Spinde' can also be to spin a thread or the sound of a well-oiled machine.
But when it is the action of a content cat, what is it in Swedish? German? Swahili? Dutch? Others?
Please help me out here buddies. (And the rest of you!)

Post 202

KimotoCat

Cult-WATCH!

So, slake me...

Post 203

The Mummy, administrator of the SETI@home Project (A193231) and The Reluctant Dead on the FFFF (A254314)

Hi!

A bit of Dutch here:

spin -- spider
spinnen -- spiders, to spin, to purr.

So when you spin a thread -- "je spint garen"
when a cat purrs with contentment -- "een kat spint van genoegen"
when you're afraid of spiders -- "je bent bang van spinnen"

When we're talking about a well-oiled machine, we rather use "snorren", and that word is fun for translators as well, because "een snor" is a mustache smiley - smiley

About culture: in Dutch it is a cult-hour ("kultuur")

Festival

Post 204

Bruce

So the Dutch have cats that sound like a well oiled machine, while in English a well oiled machine is said to purr like a cat - strange world innitsmiley - winkeye

;^)#

Post 205

The Mummy, administrator of the SETI@home Project (A193231) and The Reluctant Dead on the FFFF (A254314)

smiley - smiley

Post 206

KimotoCat

In deed!

Post 207

kats-eyes (psychically confirmed caffeine addict)

this is funny, cos snorren sounds a bit like the german word for to purr - schnurren. and a moustache would be a schnurrbart, too. schnurren applies for the sound of spinning wheels or well-oiled-machines - motors of very expensive limousines, mostly smiley - winkeye

Post 208

(Ah, I got it finally... maybe this thread shouldn't grow any longer!!!)

Ah, I didn't know about these german translations.
Maybe "snorren" is also used for purring cats here as well, but I can't confirm that. It just sounds a bit weird to me smiley - smiley

Post 209

KimotoCat

Hey, what is happening here? We turn our backs for a few eblats and what has happened upon our return?
NOTHING!
Why...
I...
G...
I am so flabberghasted I dunno what to say. I better go get slaked, this is too much!

BTW - I've heard the word 'slake' used in sa serious documentary by the BBC, that must make it into a formal word, no?
I think the term was something like "...but the people had to slake their thirst at dirty wells or riverbanks..." (Endquote from an episode of "The Peoples Century", a fascinating history documentary.)
There you have it!

Post 210

KimotoCat

And another 24 weeks pass - that would be 168+ eblats, m'boys!

And what happens during this breathtaking amount of time?

NOTHING!!!

Sheesh...

Post 211

Sidney Kidney, AKA Gruby Ben, friend of Dirty Den

Kebab....

*snigger*

Post 212

KimotoCat

Hold the anchovies!!!

BTW - anchovies (smiley - fish) are not at all anchovies (smiley - fish) in Denmark, isn't that peculiar?

Post 213

Well what on earth are they then?

Post 214

KimotoCat

Obnoxious!

Naw, seriously they are another little fish whose name I do not know how to translate into English, but we call'em brisling. How they cease to be brisling and turn into anchovies when marinated and canned is beyond me, but kinda awe-inspiring, don't you think?

Post 215

It's on the same sort of lines as Kippers, which are not kippers untill smoked!

Post 216

KimotoCat

Precisely!

Awe-inspiring, isn't it?

Post 217

The Duke of Dunstable

Right, stop that you two! These are closed premesis, and you are trespassing. The forum has been dead for 24 weeks. Have you no respect?!

Post 218

KimotoCat

Ahhh...

Trust the Duke to come up with a new word instantaneously. What is this ... respet? ... As I don't know what it is, I am afraid I cannot tell Your Lordship if I have it or not.

But do explain this fascinating newbie in my otherwise profound vocabulary and I shall make haste to enlighten Your Lordship as to whether I have it or not.

Oh, and it is good to see your Lordship again. I trust you are well?

Give my regards to the Ladyship, should there be one.

Salutations - KimotoCat

Post 219

Respect....Errrrmmmmm, respect is when someone or something can do something which is challenging and something which you would like to do but can't because you don't have the skills....

A bit like a Fireman!!

Hows about that then?

Post 220

The Duke of Dunstable

My god! You are savages, aren't you? Respect is of course what you have when something that have been haunting you for ages suddenly goes away and is unheard of again. As in "Woah, I really have a lot of respect for Maggie Thatcher".

Yes there is a Lady Dunstable, and two baby Dunstables of which one is currently trying to stand up against the keyboard table and of which the other is watching "Bamse" on video...

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more