A Conversation for Miscellaneous Chat

Donau­dampfschiffahrts­elektrizitäten­haupt­betriebs­werkbau­unterbeamten­gesellschaft

Post 1

Einmoto - CoachAntony

WJH: Just found this co BBC Ticker!

Donau­dampfschiffahrts­elektrizitäten­haupt­betriebs­werkbau­unterbeamten­gesellschaft

is apparently the longest German word! But having lived in Germany for many years ... I have never used it ... but, I hasten to add, I've never been a steam ship on the Donau!

Not a lot of people know this! http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A29639046

Post 2

Superfrenchie

Ah, interesting.
The longest word in French is "anticonstitutionnellement", and it means unconstitutionally (how many n's? how many l's?).
Ridiculously short, isn't it? smiley - laugh

Post 3

cannychanta

Did you know that the most hated football fan in Germany is the Borussiamoenchengladbach fan who stands on the terraces and yells: give us a "B"

Cannychanta

Post 4

Einmoto - CoachAntony

And I thought that the longest French word was "Umweltverschmutzung!" Environmental pollution

Post 5

Einmoto - CoachAntony

One of the longest English words that I know and use is Ethnomethodologist - any one interested you can google Garfinkel (not Simon and Garfunkel!)

Welsh have Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch

and it apparently is also the longest URL

Post 6

Tube - the being being back for the time being

Ummm... "Umweltverschmutzung" is German for environmental pollution. smiley - smiley

The (German, sensible) word with the most consonants in a row is "Borschtschschmaus". And only four words in German end on "...nf"
Henf, Genf, Senf, Fünf

smiley - cheers
Tube
(h2g2 official translator)

Post 7

Malabarista - now with added pony

German words can be extended indefinitely. If I want, I can make up a Donaudampfschiffahrtsgesellschaftskapitänsmützenknopfpoliturherstellerazubistellenausschreibungslesermutterschürzenknotenbindemethode smiley - silly

Post 8

Einmoto - CoachAntony

http://www.askoxford.com/concise_oed/adinfinitum?view=uk

Post 9

Stealth "Jack" Azathoth

Eep.

Post 10

Einmoto - CoachAntony

Pardon?

Post 11

Jadey Wade

supercalefragilisticexpealidocious smiley - smiley

Post 12

Superfrenchie

"And I thought that the longest French word was "Umweltverschmutzung!" Environmental pollution"
That's not a very nice thing to say/write! smiley - wah

Some might say the shortest word in French is "President"... Not very nice either, is it? smiley - laugh

Post 13

"Umweltverschmutzung" is a German word, isn't it? smiley - huh

Post 14

Superfrenchie

Yes, it is.
I think what he meant by that was to say that France is very polluted. smiley - wah

Post 15

Ih-Dschieh

>"Donau......methode"
Funny that you should use the short word "Azubi" in there instead of "Auszubildenden"... smiley - winkeye

Post 16

Einmoto - CoachAntony

No ... I would never say that AND especially not to such a nice person as Stunning. I got this piece of information from a friend of mine who works for Airbus.

As you probably know Airbus is made up of 3? Countries. England, France and Germany? And in meetings, the French people say: Umweltverschmutzung because, apparently, there is no word for it in the French language!

Perhaps SF could tell us if this is true?

The joke with smiley - lovepresident sarkozysmiley - love is great!

Post 17

>>Funny that you should use the short word "Azubi" in there instead of "Auszubildenden"...<<

Of course! Words that long need to be abbreviated smiley - winkeye

>>the French people say: Umweltverschmutzung because, apparently, there is no word for it in the French language!<<

Leo reveals the French word to be "pollution"... I do get 1,780 French hits when googling "Umweltverschmutzung", but many of them appear to be book titles or requests for help with translation.

Post 18

Superfrenchie

Umweltverschmutzung:

Yes, "pollution" is the one.

Maybe they're using the German word just to show that they can say it without leaving any bits out... smiley - laugh

Post 19

Ih-Dschieh

Ah yes, of course - abbreviation. And that's probably also the reason to leave out the third "f" in "Schifffahrt" smiley - winkeye

Post 20

Three Fs is just silly, unless you're Heinz Rühmann in "die Feuerzangenbowle" smiley - winkeye I refuse to go with the new spelling smiley - laugh

And I bet you're right, SF, they're just showing off smiley - winkeye

Key: Complain about this post