A Conversation for Miscellaneous Chat

Why do Americans who yearn to go abroad feel like they don't belong where they were born?

Post 1

AmericanZombieBasher

I never felt like I belong in America. I have aching desire to go somewhere else, and it has nothing whatsoever to do with the political situation.
I want to know why.

Why do Americans who yearn to go abroad feel like they don't belong where they were born?

Post 2

Andy

you could just have a urge to see more of the world smiley - erm

Post 3

Aximili

Is it only American who feel like this? I don't think so.

For me, where I live is not my 'home'. My home is in Cumbria, in the Lake District, and I go there once a year. I have no family there, no connection to the area at all but when I'm there I get this feeling of completeness that I have never got anywhere else. When I'm there I feel that the world is full and complete, and when I leave (Yes I have to leave, no way will I ever be able to afford a house theresmiley - winkeye) a gap in my heart is made, and doesn't fill up until I return.

So why do we feel like this? I have no idea, and no scientific theories to back u my views but I do have an answer that is marginally better than nothing.

If (big if, here) you believe in reincarnation, you could argue that you lived there in a previous life and still long to go back there.

Or there could be a totally different, and scientifically approved reason. Or no reason at all. All I offer is my theory. Take it or leave itsmiley - smiley

Post 4

kea ~ Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy lies a small, unregarded but very well read blue and white website

AZB, where do your people come from originally (as far back as you know)?

Thinking about where you have come from geneologically and genetically can help to understand where you belong or don't belong. I don't mean that you belong where your ancestors came from necessarily (although you might), but that the process of understanding more deeply where we come from makes changes in us that help us understand our current sense of belongingness.

Post 5

daffodilgold

For years I had a sense of coming home, whenever I visited Cornwall. A few years ago I packed up and moved here. I wouldn't now want to live anywhere else. I have even found street names and places with our family name!

Post 6

Boxing Baboon (half here an half there )

amercianzombiebasher!
Go live in Iraq its a much better place now. since your lot sorted all the problems out.

Post 7

daffodilgold

That was uncalled for!

Never treat others with scorn, We're only here 'cause we're born

(I read that in your personal space!!!)

Post 8

Boxing Baboon (half here an half there )

Was a jokesmiley - ok?
That paragrah (never treat others with scorn etc) comes from a song called love thy neighboursmiley - smiley.

Post 9

Stealth "Jack" Azathoth

The Middle East was such a lovely place after the British and French Empires set it rights in the 20th century.

Post 10

AmericanZombieBasher

So far, the only places in Europe my ancestors came from are Ireland and Wales. My maternal grandma says her aunt, from Llangollen, said her family cleaned Queen Victoria's toilets. Her great-grandfather left Ireland for food. That's about all I know.
My paternal side is strangely silent about it, so I figure the flight from Europe on that end may have been less than ...ahem...on the up and up, as it were.

Post 11

Cookiecate

Aximili - (ACE)
We have recently moved to Cumbria, like you we have no connection, we just saw the house on the internet came up here and fell in love. When we have to go back for a visit I feel incomplete until I return. I love this place my only sadness is that I didn't find it before.

I am smiley - senior and I have never felt like this about anywhere before.

Key: Complain about this post