A Conversation for Miscellaneous Chat

Line Breaks

Post 1

Global Village Idiot

Hi, maybe you can help with a silly little problem. I'd like to prepare my entries beforehand in something like Word (I'd rather it wasn't word, but that's another story...), then I paste them into the box from my clipboard. However, I find that when I do this, all my line breaks disappear. Is there some way I can preserve them?

This is probably something I should know if I was competent with computers, or if I'd ever contributed to a net bulletin board before, but I'm not and I haven't so there.

BTW, I'm using IE3.02 and even Shift-refresh doesn't give me a new page button. But I can get it through the journal entry so that's cool.

Line Breaks

Post 2

rbrwr

You need to use HTML markup - should give you a line break

Line Breaks

Post 3

Global Village Idiot

Thanks, that seems to have cracked it

Line Breaks

Post 4

Smiley Ben

and to leave a line between, though the editing thingy is weird, and prefers it if you write your first paragraphyour second paragraph

Line Breaks - BUG!

Post 5

Rammesses

Yea - I spotted this... if you just use it copies stuff all over the shop. Summat to do with the input parsing, I guess. Is there a BUGS topic? or entry?

Line Breaks - BUG!

Post 6

Yozlet

It may help to know that, according to the HTML spec,
somethingsomething else
is the correct way of doing it, and
somethingsomething else
is wrong (despite loads of people doing it that way). Always use the first method!
(However, yes, there are some bugs for us to work out in our input handling)

Line Breaks - BUG!

Post 7

Rammesses

Yea - I sussed you were going to-spec. The only problem is that the for end-para is now so entrenched that just stopping using it is a pain. I do this stuff for a living too - we're constantly "applying the clue stick" to our users. Still have to parse for tho'. :0(

Keep up the good work tho' - it's a great site (which is why you'll be getting me burble on here w-a-y too much!)!

Line Breaks - BUG!

Post 8

Smiley Ben

'the' HTML spec???

Last time I looked the W3C consortium set the HTML standard, and were allowed to update it, hence us using HTML 3 or 4 rather than 1....

Line Breaks - BUG!

Post 9

Yoz

Okay, the *current* HTML specification, being 4.0, W3C document REC-html40-19980424.

HAPPY NOW?

-- Yoz takes on all comers in the standards battles

Line Breaks - BUG!

Post 10

Saint Silent Bob of the Silent Majority

smiley - sadface

Key: Complain about this post