A Conversation for Talking Point: Which Precious Things Would You Save?

Re: Precious Things

Post 1

Zelmo Zale

We thought we'd get the ball rolling.

Book: Catch 22
Film: Chaplin's The Great Dictator (take that despotic leader!)
Album: Inner Visions - Stevie Wonder
Art: Edvard Munch's The Scream

Over to you. smiley - ok

Post 2

Maria

Book: The Greek Myths by Robert Graves.

Almost anything in our culture, western and eastern, has a connection with Greek mythology. We can start again.
But if we want a different start... A book with the whole photographic work of Frank Kappa. It will give to the future citizens a good idea of the level of meanness and greatness we are able to do.

Film: The Chase (Anthony Man?)
People shouldn´t forget how cruel we can be if we follow ignorance and prejudices.

Album: Any of Bob Marley

delicious rhythm, good lyrics

Work of art: any pottery artifact from prehistory.
To remind people that creativity is wired in us.

::
Of course I agree with Malabarista, save the people, but as this is a game...
or is it not?
smiley - ermsmiley - run

smiley - offtopic
why people always open a new thread in the Talking point? Is it a norm? have I missed anything? I am a grumpy lady?

Post 3

Maria

I mean Robert Capa

Post 4

Zelmo Zale

I didn't think about questioning the leader's authority. How rubbish a revolutionary am I?

Post 5

Maria

Not at all ! your proposal has the germ of revolution. Catch-22 would show the burocratic machinery that traps the person, The Great Dictator is also fine. The Scream shows an anguish any opressed person could feel as his.
However, both you and me are behaving too predictable with our proposals. We need something different. We are going to be opressed but *they* have allowed us a sort of scape. Don´t know if they mean it, in the hope that humanity may start again from scratchs and build a new society, maybe this is an utopian project disguised as a dystopian one. Or maybe they just want to allow us a bit of amusement via art, so that we don´t get too nutty and unable to work properly according to their new society scheme..

In any case I think my plan can work:

Let´s offer the most joyful bits of art. That way people will want to expand, explore, emulate, produce...them. That desire will touch deeply their hearts. (There´s not truly revolution if ideas don´t go through your heart first) Then, what we have? A bit of relief to opressed people and the germ of revolution growing in their hearts.

What is more, art will be seen as an absolute human basic need and right. Something useful for societies, a heart felt bond, the real cement of a comunity. Creativity then will finally have the prevailing role it deserves. Our present society doesn´t help us much to express our creativity, something so basic, so wired in us. Think of that prehistoric person using the nail as a tool to do rudimentary ornaments, that only means that we NEED art. We need to produce it, to express ourself that way.

So , finally we can have an harmonic society based on creativity. Think about that Chinesse thought that says that a person doing something artistic is far from conflict, enriches his life and others´.

Oh dear!! This is our opportunity to start again and build a peaceful society.

Now the problem is, which are those works of art that can offer, without doubt, (as not everybody agrees on what pleasant art is) joy, pleasure, wellbeing...

These come to my mind now:
Book: El Libro del buen amor, The Good Love Book, a very optimistic poem from the early Spanish Renaissance, a book about the joys of life. If it´s not translated, I will do it. (I´m a commited revolutionary)
Film: Not sure, a comedy or something about the joy of living.
Album: Still Bob Marley
Piece of Art: some of Goya´s paintings about people having fun in the countryside. Or something of Gaudy. Or Islamic decorations with geometry.

Well, that´s all I can say by now.

Are you still there? Oh my God! What have I done with poor Zelmo!

*tucks up Zelmo with a confortable blanket, and leaves the thread thinking that she should be more careful with her rants*

smiley - chocsmiley - teasmiley - cake
smiley - run

Post 6

Zelmo Zale

If you call that a rant, I think people should rant more often...

Yes I like the idea of subversion through positivity, and inspiring the artists of the future with joyful things.

I'd still go with Stevie's Innervisions for the album (and have 'Don't You Worry Bout a Thing' played through speakers on every street - alternating with Bob Marley's 'Three Little Birds')

Film: Bugsy Malone (I like the idea of the leader sitting down to watch and hearing 'We could have been anything that we wanted to be'.)

Art: We could go with Picasso's Two Women Running - always looked fun:
http://julieluongo.files.wordpress.com/2008/11/two-women-running-on-the-beach-the-race.jpg
Either that or the Guggenheim Museum in Bilbao (and everything in it):
http://fiacot.files.wordpress.com/2008/11/guggenheim-bilbao-jan05.jpg

And finally Book: It has to be Mr Happy by Roger Hargreaves. smiley - smiley

Post 7

supersissi

Hi
That's a funny question:

Book: any Comics of Asterix and Obelix smiley - biggrin
Film: Schindler's List (I didn't find a smiley which show my emotion about this dark time)
Album: Any of Freddie Mercury smiley - magic
Work of art: The sunflower of Van Gogh

By the way I love all kind of arts and music, and Thank God it is only a funny topic.

Post 8

gandalfstwin OGGMSTKMBGSUIKWIATA

Throw in my five pennyworth...

Book...Cosmos, Carl Sagan

Film...Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings Trilogy

Album....Pink Floyd, Dark Side of the Moon

Painting....Michaelangelo,s Cistine Chapel

OK??

smiley - smiley
GT

Post 9

summerbayexile

Book: A Christmas Carol
Film: The Bishop's Wife
Album: Declaration: The Alarm
Art: The Giant Buddha at Nara, Japan.

And on another day, the whole list could be totally different! Interesting question though!

Post 10

andyd-185

book - the rudyard kipling collection, this is a single book, i've got it, and it includes jungle book, J.B.2, just so stories, etc. its old, its good and its big.

film - Italian Job, the British one with micheal caine, just cos.

Album - erm, no idea, i'll cross that bridge when i get to it.

Art - a garfield cartoon.

though my list would change day to day as well.

Post 11

Todaymueller

Book - The complete works of Shakespeare
Album- A kind of blue by Miles Davis
Art - A Bar at the Folies-Bergere by Edouard Manet
Film - The life of Brian

Post 12

gandalfstwin OGGMSTKMBGSUIKWIATA

Change in my choice of book.....

Book(s) Robert Jordan,..Eye of the World......( 11 and counting...)
Album Pink Floyd, Pulse
Art Roof of Cistine Chapel, Michaelangelo
Film, Peter Jackson's LOTR Trilogy

smiley - smiley
GT

Post 13

andyd-185

a complete works of Shakespeare? no way not after 2-3 years of English literature lessons. smiley - run

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more