A Conversation for Talking Point: Slang

idiolect

Post 1

alysdragon

The problem with my region's slang is that it's one of the forming points of eshture English, so everyone uses it. It also means I come from the home of chav smiley - erm Oh well.

Possibly in defense against this, most families, and the people at my school kind of invent our own slang, expressions of emotion aand accent (by which I mean ways of pronouncing things rather than new words for them) which is apparently icomprehensible to outsiders...

Some examples:

'gunngocers' is greengrocers
'crips' for crisps
'spacefleet' mini cheedders
'burizes' crackerbread
'mackmack' flapjack
'neg' an excited exclamation
'murr' expreses uncertainty or sympathy, as in "murr, sweetheart"
'smishsmish' (repeated several times) expreses confusion
with those last three the tone is also important
'rah' or 'arah' which can mean anything but is most often something like "hello", "alright", "I'm here" or "are you okay?" with the latter the correct response is "arahrah"

There are loads more, but it's hard recalling them at this point

idiolect

Post 2

The H2G2 Editors

Wow that's like Klingon or something smiley - ok

idiolect

Post 3

robineedgar

Is a moggy acat or a mouse depends were you are in Lancs

idiolect

Post 4

The H2G2 Editors

Welcome to h2g2 robineedgar! And we didn't know that about moggies in Lancs, so thanks for that smiley - ok

idiolect

Post 5

sweetfreyja

Hi,

One of the words I often use is mugwump when someones done something daft. Its also something to say to small shildren when they have hurt themselves a little. Another phrase is misserling when it a very gentle rain almost a mist.
Something I got form my grandmother is 'she's no better than she ought to be'
I've no idea of the origin of any of these so it would be great if someone could give me some help

idiolect

Post 6

The H2G2 Editors

Hello sweetfreyja, and welcome to h2g2! We've just Googled 'misserling' and a good search around but frustratingly we can't find anything except one single tantalising reference from a blog or something but that's is "Gawd its misserling down today carn´t see thro´ the mist...lol ..."

Misserling is a great word, though smiley - ok

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more