A Conversation for PC Operating Systems

Unbiased article?

Post 1

Tams

Is it just me, is there a small amount of "windows-bashing" in this article? The content is not neccessarily wrong, but there seems to be a somewhat large emphasis on Linux, which as good as it may be isn't all that this entry makes it out to be. As for the Apple opersting system offering the latest in user interface, is there significant evidence for this?

Unbiased article?

Post 2

myk

I dont see how you could write about pc operating systems and not do , even the smallest bit of windows bashing. I would say the article gave windows a fair share-seeing that most of it was talking about it. I however feel maybe Mac OS/OSX etc could have been talked more about ( maybe even DOS smiley - smiley ) .

Unbiased article?

Post 3

Waylander101

Tams I was just thinking the same thing while reading this entry.

Unbiased article?

Post 4

Pastey

On the first read I didn't really notice any Windows bashing, but then again I'm the sole Windows user in a Mac based office (except for the infrastructure). But on a second reading, yes it does appear a little biased.

It states that for Linux "you will not need to buy anti-virus software, as Linux is inherently safe, and no one writes viruses for it" which while it may be mostly true, is rather misleading. It's true that there hasn't been a wide spread virus attack aimed at Linux machines, but there are viruses out there, and there are also trojans, malware and all the other nasties that computer users are affected by.

There's recently (the last few months(ish)) been an increase in the number of these aimed at Linux machines, probably because Linux went more main stream when netbooks first started coming out. Until then there wasn't really any point of targeting such a small percentage of the computer market. Same with the Macs, until people started getting those fluorescent iMac things. Once Macs started being used more, viruses etc started appearing for them.

What ever system you use, you'll get people trying to hack into it if it's worth their while.

There's a few other things in the article that make you think it's got a bit of Windows bashing in it, but there always will be with such a contentious subject smiley - smiley

smiley - rose

Unbiased article?

Post 5

Phoenician Trader

Certainly Linux is not inherently free of viruses. The very first internet worm (to all intents and purposes, a virus)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morris_worm

would have taken out every Linux box it found, if Linux had been invented then. It is very easy to romanticise Linux while keeping firm reality checks on Microsoft products and, increasingly, Apple ones.

smiley - lighthouse

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for PC Operating Systems

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more