A Conversation for The Royal h2g2 Historians Society

The Heartland

Post 1

Kul_Tegin

I've just joined h2g2 and I'll be writing some stuff on the Heartland. The Heartland is the centre (historical and geographical) of the World Island i.e the largest and most important land mass on the planet Earth. Roughly it includes East Europe, Central Asia and Northern Middle East. I shall not be using images initially, smileys etc as where I live (in the Heartland) the internet connection is slow and relatively expensive, though hoping this will improve.

The Heartland

Post 2

Hypatia

That sounds like a very interesting topic. I look forward to reading it. smiley - smiley

Hsmiley - rainbow

The Heartland

Post 3

MotDoc, Temporarily Exiled to Tartu, Estonia

Oh man, Heartland theory. No offense, but I was under the impression that that went out of style along with lebensraum and Aryan supremacy.
smiley - martiansmile

The Heartland

Post 4

anhaga

A brief summary of some background to MotDoc's post: http://www.bhc.edu/academics/science/harwoodr/GEOG105I/Reading/HeartRimIntro.htm (the articles referred to are part of a coursepack that is only accessible with a password.smiley - sadface)

And here's a little something to help put it in context: http://www.research.fsu.edu/researchr/fallwinter99/features/politicsplace.html

The Heartland

Post 5

Kul_Tegin

Thanks for the links. I'm not really interested in politics and (non-formal) theories, only in the history of certain subregions and certain temporal intervals of the Heartland, particularly 10th and 11th century CE.

The Heartland

Post 6

MotDoc, Temporarily Exiled to Tartu, Estonia

sounds like you have some good things to write. I look forward to seeing them.
smiley - martiansmile

The Heartland

Post 7

Kul_Tegin

After 9 years living in the Middle East, I'm back in Scandinavia, with a new interpetation of 'Heartland'.

I was in my brother in laws house in Sweden and I saw the notice on the wall which read 'Home is where the heart is'.

I've seen and heard that many times before in England, but at that moment a new meaning came to me:

My home is wherever I happen to be for wherever I am, my heart is with me!

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more