A Conversation for The University of Durham

Best Bars in Durham

Post 1

bent

I've only been here a while, so i need advice. Which is the best bar/pub in Durham?
Any one recomending Klute is going to be ignored.

Best Bars in Durham

Post 2

Grendel

IMHO..

Scruffy's on New Elvet
Hogshead on the bailey
Market Tavern in the town square
O'Neill's up Claypath.
The Neville's Cross Hotel - a dump, but very cheap!

Best Bars in Durham

Post 3

bent

Thanks, I'll give them a go.

Best Bars in Durham

Post 4

Pete - Researcher: 119100.

I know this is a bit post-hoc, but...
Collingwood college has the best stocked bar in Durham.
And it's big enough.

Best Bars in Durham

Post 5

DurhamMitch

Have to disagree, Hild-Bede Bar is a lot nicer and has a better view!

Mitch

Best Bars in Durham

Post 6

DurhamMitch

Another questino could be, which bar stocks the best snacks! H/B has pepperami, Brannigans and golden wonder peanuts.. and space raiders!

Best Bars in Durham

Post 7

Grendel

Don't you have anything more important to worry about?

Best Bars in Durham

Post 8

DurhamMitch

No, university, like reality, is just an illusion created out of lack of alcohol smiley - winkeye

Best Bars in Durham

Post 9

Hika

Have to disagree there, The Vic has the finest selection of whisky, this side of Hadrians Wall.

Best Bars in Durham

Post 10

Hika

Have to disagree there, The Vic has the finest selection of whisky, this side of Hadrians Wall.

Best Bars in Durham

Post 11

David

Indeed the Vic does have a fine whisky collection but all whisky lovers in Durham should also visit Grad. Soc. bar - at least 25 malts last time I was there.

Always quite liked Mary's bar, good for a quiet drink.

Best Bars in Durham

Post 12

bent

Mary's? Quiet? Looks like you chose the wrong night. Mary's is a great place to go if you want to pick up a slightly stupid bloke who's very desperate. Sort of a pre-10 o'clock Klute.

(Note for non Durham students: Mary's AKA the little whorehouse on the hill AKA Virgin Megastore is a female only college. This may come as a shock to anyone who has ever seen a fire alarm there.)

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more