This is the Message Centre for SashaQ - happysad

Subbing Mary Rose

Post 1

Bluebottle

A87970774 The Mary Rose Museum, Portsmouth, UK
Mary Rose, quite contrary, how does your warship grow?
With Maltese cross, sundial, peppermill, earspoon and cannons all in a row.

<BB<

Subbing Mary Rose

Post 2

SashaQ - happysad

smiley - oksmiley - rose

Subbing Mary Rose

Post 3

Bluebottle

The only thing I think could well be mentioned is that up until 2016 the ship had several pipes and ducts running along every deck – now that they've gone the change is quite dramatic. It is hard to describe how intrusive they were and now that they've gone, how much more of an actual Tudor ship the 'Mary Rose' appears now it is no longer being obscured by so much obvious 20th & 21st Century technology.

<BB<

Subbing Mary Rose

Post 4

SashaQ - happysad

Good idea - and I think I also need a footnote on "ship-shaped building" to say something like: "The building's architects envisioned the Mary Rose as being the pearl in the centre of an oyster."

How about changing "The sprays were turned off in 2013 and the timbers were air dried between 2013 and 2016, effectively preserving them for the future. "

to "The sprays were turned off in 2013 and pipes were laid along the length of the ship on each level to circulate air around the timbers (so the view for visitors continued to be obscured). The air-drying process was completed (and the pipes were removed) in 2016, effectively preserving the ship for the future. "?

smiley - ok

Subbing Mary Rose

Post 5

Bluebottle

I've added those two comments, although if truth be told I moved the comment about the oyster lower down into the body of the text, as I thought it seemed confusing to say 'the building is ship-shapedsmiley - footprintssmiley - musicalnoteoyster-shaped' as ships and oysters are different, and it avoids a mixed metaphor. If you disagree then let me know.

<BB<

Subbing Mary Rose

Post 6

SashaQ - happysad

That's perfect - thank you smiley - ok

Subbing Mary Rose

Post 7

Bluebottle

Are you happy to give this a final thorough read-through?

<BB<

Subbing Mary Rose

Post 8

SashaQ - happysad

Yep - it's ready to go to the next stage smiley - ok

(my computer gave me a fright, there - somehow managed to show me the version from two weeks ago, so I wondered where the pipes had gone smiley - yikes I refreshed the page and see the latest version now - phew! smiley - ok)

Subbing Mary Rose

Post 9

Bluebottle

Button pressed!

Yep, definitely the edited version - I've not undone all the changes we made, honest.

<BB<

Subbing Mary Rose

Post 10

h2g2 Guide Editors

Congratulations! Your Entry is on the Front Page today smiley - rosesmiley - magic

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for SashaQ - happysad

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more