A Conversation for Posthumous Praise

sugestions

Post 1

Sneaky

i know exactly what you mean. i have to be reading at least one book at all times, as well as my online adventures. some books that have taken me away from the drudgery of modern reality are "the wheel of time" series by robert jordon, "neverwhere" by neil gaimen, "stranger in a strange land" by robert a. heinlein, and for detail like none other, the "dark tower" series by stephen king. this last is not horror, but contemporary and imaginative literature by probably the most popular american writer of all time. (yes, i am a fan, one with over thirty hardcover novels, of mr. king)

hope you find your escape.

smiley - cheers

suggestions even

Post 2

Foque Ouite

anything by robert heinlein, john wyndham, arthur c clarke or john norman's gor series

okay it's not modern, but the power of these writers to take you to other worlds and/or times has had a major impact on my bookshelf's ability to cope with the challenges of mass and gravity placed upon it

suggestions even

Post 3

Sneaky

Heinlein may not be modern, but he was far ahead of even our times. Never read John Norman, what would be a good one to start on? Any author that can be mentioned in the same sentance as Heinlein and Clarck has to be a good writer.

smiley - cheers

suggestions even

Post 4

Foque Ouite

tarnsman of gor is the first in the series and easily the most entertaining and accessible - they may be a bit tricky to track down but well worth it, tho' they do start to get seriously self-indulgent in a tolkien-esque kind of way (i'm thinking of the verging-on-the-encyclopaedic silmarillion) after about no. 6 but all the more rewarding for the dedicated

suggestions even

Post 5

skank monkey (upbeats only. shouting by special request) [night-who-ver?]isn't it annoying when somebody's name is longer than t

Has anyone ever managed to read the Silmarillion? I'm a big Tolkien fan but i just can't do it. I generally get to about "In the beginning was the Ainur" before nodding off...

If you want escapism, cracking storytelling, and more detail than you could shake a stick (or if you prefer, a gnarled oaken branch worn smooth with the touch of many hands, salvaged from a wrack of driftwood washed high up in secluded cove below Alnwick Castle - how's that for detail? smiley - biggrin) at...er...where was i....
Oh, yeah. Read Robin Hobb if you haven't already - some of the best fantasy i've read. The first book is "Assassin's Apprentice", and i think the 9th one's due out soon.

suggestions even

Post 6

Sneaky

The Silmarillion was a little difficult to get through, kinda like reading those history texts in school, but the background and history of it all really added depth to the series that I don't think has been equalled by any author since. I only refer to the original Silmarillion by J.R.R Tolkien, not the subsiquent(sp?) flops peiced together by the kid. Another good series with gobs of detail is one I've mentioned in the first posting, 'The Wheel Of Time' by Robert Jordan. The journey takes a little time, nine door-stoppers last time I checked, but the detail is astounding. Another great series, for us tech junkies out there (amazing how I can visualize myself in two places at once), is 'Otherland' by Tad Williams, I think. I'm reading too many series for my own good. Always fun to pick up a novel that's third or fourth in a series and confuse the plot with other series. 'I thought that Frodo was trapped in a great network of dream-travel on his way to the dark tower in a galaxy far, far away in a time long, long ago, with only his trusted towelie to keep him company.' Schizophrenia, I'm on my way. Wohoo, seven different series mentioned in one confused plot-line. I think I need a beer this time.

smiley - cheers

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Posthumous Praise

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more