A Conversation for Talking Point: Douglas Adams vs Terry Pratchett

Sorry, but I prefer

Post 1

DA ; Simply Vicky: Don't get pithy with me!

Pratchett... The Discworld books have an underlying seriousness, and they hang together really well.
I have to say I would choose Death, or his granddaughter Susan as travelling companions, I would have so much to ask them!
Some Discworld books are standouts - Small Gods, and Carpe Jugulum immediately spring to mind. I used a passage from the latter in a presentation for the mental health module on my Diploma in Human Services. TP seems to have a greater understanding of human nature - and he's a defter creator of characters - Nanny Ogg is priceless! Granny Weatherwax too, and Cohen the Barbarian, the Bursar, Mort, the list is potentially endless. Lastly, TP is laugh out loud funny, and without showing strain as DNA sometimes did.
DNA's output was much more uneven, though the first Dirk Gently book stands out for me.

HMM, INTERESTING.

Post 2

Random Nooj

I NEVER FAIL TO FIND THE HUMAN INHABITANTS OF THE DISCWORLD BOTH INFURIATING AND FASCINATING IN EQUAL MEASSURE. OF ALL THE BEINGS IN THE MULTIVERSE, I FEEL ALMOST A BOND WITH THEM, AND THE BEST CURRIES REALLY DO COME FROM ANKH MORPORK.
I DID MEET MR. ADAMS ONCE, AN INTERESTING AND CREATIVE INDIVIDUAL, WE GOT ON RATHER WELL IN THE SHORT TIME WE WERE TOGETHER. I FEEL HOWEVER, THAT THE DISCWORLD WILL ALWAYS BE MY 'HOME AWAY FROM HOME'. ALSO, I DO NOT THINK ALBERT WOULD BE HAPPY IF HE COULD NOT GET THE PARTICULAR BRAND OF LARD HE LIKES TO USE IN HIS PORRIDGE.

HMM, INTERESTING.

Post 3

Peter aka Krans

Ah, nooooo... the block capitals...smiley - run
smiley - jester

HMM, INTERESTING.

Post 4

Detruitus

I must admit preference to TP (should do with my name).
I used to be a great fan of DNA and still am, but after discovering TP - I was totally bowled over. And it is so infuriating, running out of his books to read. I must agree, that all his characters are great, but apart from Rincewind, my favourites would be the Police squad, Vimes, Carrot (Detruitus of course).
I actually had a chance to meet TP, when he came into the BBC to discuss Colour of Money, what a day to be sick!!!!

HMM, INTERESTING.

Post 5

MMF - Keeper of Mustelids, with added P.M.A., is now in a relationship.

I find that TP is very formulaic, having read a dozen of them. I hope the Elderly people at the rest home that I donated them to enjoyed them.
The advantage I find with DNA is he has no limits. Last chance to see with David carwardine (with a Channel 4 tie-in) is poignant, thought-provoking and funny. I did find Dirk Gently awkward, and have also read the Meaning of Liff.HooToo is easily the lightest read, and again has poignancy.
Knockout to DNA

smiley - musicalnote

Douglas 4-ever

Post 6

Itzcotl

I just want to say I will stand behind Douglas Noel Adams against ANYBODY.
Itzcotl

Douglas 4-ever

Post 7

E G Mel

I read them both but for very different reasons.

I really enjoy the way DNA writes. He makes me feel connected and the way he explains things make you feel like he's there telling you the story. His style is clever and requires more intelligence to read between the lines and to fully appreciate it.

I have to admit however that I prefer the stories of TP, they are less coincidental and easier to follow.

In short if I'm feeling that I want to read for the sake of enjoying reading I will pick up DNA, if I want a story that I can pick up read and not have to think too hard about what I'm reading, whilst still feeling that I've read a good book I will chose TP.

Horses for courses! smiley - winkeye

Mel smiley - hsif

Douglas 4-ever

Post 8

weberquetzal

Can I just make a small reminder to the fact that this whole site is thanks to DNA smiley - winkeye!

I think that says it all...but I'll say some more because DNA needs some more defenders! smiley - biggrin

I love all his books and DNAs style of writing. I enjoyed the Dirk Gently novels partly for the reason that the idea of a holistic method of detecting is so funny it has to be read.

I definitely prefer the sci-fi element to the fantasy. The fact that some parts of it might be plausible make the humour makes an excellent combination.

I'd love to hitch-hike round the universe with a bunch of people like in the Hitchhiker books! And come on are pan-dimensional smiley - mouse not completely cool! smiley - winkeye

wq

Douglas 4-ever

Post 9

DA ; Simply Vicky: Don't get pithy with me!

While I take your points, weberquetzal, I still have to say I prefer TP, though as someone said, DNA is poignant (but so can TP be!)
TP is often 'deeper' than people appreciate.
A stand out line, spoken by DEATH to Mort - "there is no justice, there's just us."

Douglas 4-ever

Post 10

Dylstra

I seem to remember The Monkees saying something similar when the reformed in the late nineties.

Douglas 4-ever

Post 11

E G Mel

In respose to the point that this site is here thanks to DNA...

Does that make him a better writer?

He may have achieved different things from TP but that I feel is mainly due to his love of 'New Stuff' as Stephan Fry so eloquently put it!

Mel smiley - hsif

Douglas 4-ever

Post 12

AliciaDavison

What can I say? Douglas...definately! I first read the Hitchhiker's books when I was about 13 or 14, saw the series and have just heard the original radio series..all brilliant!

I also read Pratchet and think he's like Douglas, though in the realms of fantasy, rather than sci-fi.

Douglas forever!!!

Alicia

Douglas 4-ever

Post 13

E G Mel

Have you read last chance to see or the Salmon of Doubt?

The second is excellent. They have picked some beautiful pieces.

Mel smiley - hsif

Douglas 4-ever

Post 14

AliciaDavison

I haven't read either yet, but plan to ASAP. Last Chance To See sounded like a brilliant idea and the Salmon of Doubt looks interesting. Love the title. I'm keeping my eye out for both books,

Alicia

Douglas 4-ever

Post 15

E G Mel

Well worth the time spent on them!

Mel smiley - hsif

Douglas 4-ever

Post 16

AliciaDavison

Excellent...roll on next pay packet *laff*

Alicia

Key: Complain about this post