This is the Message Centre for Len (Snowie) Baynes

'The Will to Live' Foreword

Post 1

Len (Snowie) Baynes

I have lost count of the times I have reported this, without reply. The Poem 'Mankind' should be followed by:

'
The Cambridgeshire Regt.
A member of the Territorial 1st. Battn., I was mobilised a week before the outbreak of WW2 to defend Duxford Aerodrome against ground and air attack.
After a few weeks we were replaced, and began infantry training at Weeting Hall, Brandon.
Bored, I volunteered to join No.11 Independent Coy. and was situated under canvas on the Dell Football ground at Southampton.
This later became No.1 Commando, and we were deployed in Carbis Bay, Cornwall, when an attack from the sea was expected after Dunkirk.
We later moved to Gourock, Scotland, and embarked on a cattle boat, to go to defend Norway; but after five days we returned to base, as Norway had been captured by the Germans.
I was recalled to my regiment after a few months, as they were expecting to embark for overseas.
Eventually we did embark, for North Africa. We were deflected at sea, and were sent to Singapore, where, after a catastrophic campaign, we were captured by the Japanese, eventually to build a railway in Thailand for them, where disease and ill treatment at one time reduced me to weigh 4 stone.

Then a link should follow to 'Chapter 1'

Edit Page
Leave a Message

VOLUNTEER BADGES

RESEARCHER DATA

Name:

Len (Snowie) Baynes
Last posted: Yesterday

Researcher Number:

Key: Complain about this post

'The Will to Live' Foreword

More Conversations for Len (Snowie) Baynes

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more