A Conversation for The Great British Breakfast

Great British Breakfast

Post 21

Researcher 44652

Don't let us forget those really really interesting regional variations. Like Oatcakes. And Once I had fried Christmas Pudding - a truley annual treat worth waiting 364 days to experience. And PORRIDGE

Alas many great dishes have gone by the way side due to the modern pace of life. Where are the devilled kidneys, the smoked kippers, the kedigeree and other colestoral laden goodies????

Great British Breakfast

Post 22

John the gardener says, "Free Tibet!"

Good one 44652! I can't believe kippers and kedgeree were overlooked for long. As for porridge, Heinrich Himmler believed it to be the secret to the success of the British Empire; and so, made his SS recruits eat it for breakfast.

Great British Breakfast

Post 23

Researcher 38090

Making them cereal killers.

Sorry.

Great British Breakfast

Post 24

SMURF

One of my friends who was from Ullapool always used to rave on about white pudding which I understand is a variation of that old fave, black pudding. Also, the sausages in the Scottish variation are square!

Great British Breakfast

Post 25

shazzbat

We do get brown sauce in NZ - its just not the same! Everyone is tomato sauce mad over here - ugh! Kippers - butter - yum! Black pudding and white pudding - yum! And I don't care what shape the sausages are as long as they taste of something other than sawdust!

Great British Breakfast

Post 26

SMURF

I believe there is a red pudding too. I'd be grateful if someone could enlighten me by telling me what the difference is.

Great British Breakfast

Post 27

Peasant with cheese

Marmite on toast may be a suitable alternative to marmalade if the eating person in question doesn't like ornges. If (s)he doesn't like marmite then black pudding is terrible. How about 2.74 melons on toast?

Great British Breakfast

Post 28

svr

With respect to the beverage associated with the Great British Breakfast you for got to mention the
likelihood of one or both of the following phenomena:
1) small globules of undissolved solidified creamy milk that have fallen in from the top of the bottle which has been left out of the fridge all night!
2) a small oil slick from the spoon used to stir in the above milk which has also been used for various culinary applications. If the oil slick ever escapes into the environment then a minor environmental catastrophe is likely!

Stuart

Great British Breakfast

Post 29

The Other Marvin

What makes the Great British Breakfast complete, is of course, a lightly chilled Beaujolais !

We tried this many years ago as the antidote to a whingeing Yankie visitor and it worked. Now we actually live
in the Beaujolais we have the possibility to do "en plein air" as well BUT the other ingredients are more
difficult to come by.

Great British Breakfast

Post 30

Is mise Duncan

An interesting variation is to have a dollop of rind-free marmalade with your sausages...I know it sounds odd, just try it.

Also, brown sauce is essential as it cuts through the grease whereas ketchup (catsup?) doesn't - maybe if you added vineager to it...?

Sausages and sauces.

Post 31

Jake

Brown sauce adds that little extra to the GB2. HP and Daddies give best results.
As for sausages, they must contain some amount of sawdust. If I may paraphrase a local butcher in my home town, "If sawdust was good enough during the war, then it's good enough now."
Now fried bread is a much underatted part of the breakfast, mostly because it's rarely cooked well.
After frying your bacon, sausage and egg, place on a heated plate and keep under a grill to keep hot. Then add some more lard (not vegetable / sunflower oil!) to the frying pan. There must be plenty of fat. Bread likes to soak up the fat. Put your bread in the pan. You may need to use a fish slice to hold the bread on the bottom of the pan. This well help with browning. Check the bread regularly until it reaches a slighty dark golden colour, turn the bread over to do the other side. You may need to add a little more lard at this point.
When the bread is done, you could drain some fat off if you must, cut diagonally and add to the plate, finish off by adding your unfried ingredients (maybe tomatos, scramble egg etc.) and serve immediately.
Good bread should still be quite hot when eaten, and the hot soaked up fat should give the bread a juicy texture without making the bread soggy. Do not let the bread get too cold, for soggy fried bread is not good at all.

Key: Complain about this post