This is the Message Centre for MMF - Keeper of Mustelids, with added P.M.A., is now in a relationship.

MMF's NaJoPoMo 2013-day 8

Post 1

MMF - Keeper of Mustelids, with added P.M.A., is now in a relationship.

POETS.

Well, it was for those who are working.

And the Acronym? Stands for P!$$ Off Everyone. Tomorrow 's Saturday!.
Some say it's P!$$ Off Early, tomorrow's Saturday.

Either way, hope it was beneficial to all.

And so how was MMF's day?

After yet another disturbed night, and after surfacing and performing the usual, including sorting e-mails etc, there wash't much day left as he had to leave the flat at 15.30.

The weather was 'Dreich' as the Scots would say. Grey, wet, with an unpleasant damp chill in the air.

And the reason for the early depart? Crooked Stovepipe's penultimate gig, at Pratt's Bottom. This is the band MMF has played in for 27 years, consisting of self on electric Bridge 5-string fiddle, an accordionist, bass guitarist (and lift-provider), acoustic guitar, and caller.

Unfortunately the caller is also the booking agent, married to the acoustic guitarist who is now almost totally deaf, both past retirement age. The perception between the rest of the band is that they want to retire from the band and just continue doing dances with canned music. Less gear to lug around and more smiley - 2cents. The reason for our thinking? Bookings have dropped from around 35 gigs a year to none in the last year, within three years, and only one more, in a fortnight, that we must have been doing for over 10 years. Best part about it, apart from a fantastic American supper? Mulled smiley - redwine. And loads of celery. smiley - boingsmiley - biggrinsmiley - ok

So left with bag, fiddle and cables over the shoulder to get the smiley - bus to Hammersmith. Except the traffic was gridlocked. Now he remembered why he did not enjoy Friday gigs. Battling against the School Br@t$ on the smiley - bus, weekend drivers collecting bundles of joy to protect them from the rain, but being overcautious due to lack of driving experience, and smiley - run hour commuters.

Finally completed the 30 minute journey in an hour. Dive into T€$c0 for smiley - ale to celebrate his, and the accordionist's birthday, (the accordionist's birthday is the 8th, MMF's on the 7th) and sandwiches, as not eaten.

Queues!!! Long Queues! But it was only 16.30? How did that equate? It wasn't smiley - run hour!

Eventually escaped, but now 16.50. Had to be at East Croydon by 18.00 for lift. smiley - bus was at the stop by the time he'd fought through the loitering school maggots, who always appear to be a roiling mass intent on either kicking MMF's stick away, or just getting him to test the laws of gravity, doing an impersonation of Newton's apple. A scrum England would be proud to get through.

Made it but standing room only. No chance to eat sandwich.

The journey is 30 minutes, so plenty of time.

But!!!

Fulham Palace and Fulham road were both gridlocked. Thank goodness MMF gained a seat and could get to eat a sandwich. Then a ticket inspector arrived. Major jiggling and jostling of bags etc. to get pass, then return wallet safely to pocket. smiley - wah.

Now 17.30 and Wandsworth bridge road. And stop. Seen more movement in a smiley - ghost. Single file traffic in both directions. Contacted Bass guitarist to advise of late arrival. Eta now 18.15.

Crawl. Fume. Stop. Seeth. Bump. Gnash. smiley - grr Fume

Eventually reach Clapham hill at 18.05. Clapham Junction has two entrances. The one nearest the smiley - bus stop is the one that entails stairs, while the one 50 metres up the hill is for disabled people. smiley - goodluck MMF managed to get the driver to drop him early, just before the disabled entrance. The bad luck was the driver suddenly lurched into the kerb sending him flying. Managed to maintain balance, but cussed the driver which was very unfair, as he was doing him a favour.

Now to get the train. Due in two minutes. Just made it. Now 10 minutes to East Croydon. Should arrive 18.30. Notified guitarist accordingly. Arrived, but platform 2. The one MMF cannot get off of unassisted, due to gap and high step as on a bend. Thankfully guard was very helpful, providing a ramp, then assisting me up the ramp, carrying my fiddle, up the slope to the concourse. 18.35, shaky, wobbly and annoyed but made it.

Thanked the guard and made it out to the car ark. No lift. He arrived 5 minutes later, having had the same problem with traffic.

At last, all the gear stowed and we're off. Pratt's Bottom, here we come.

Finally arrive at 19.20 for a 19.30 start, the traffic miraculously having disappeared. We were equipment light, so were set up for 19.35, although the hall was sparsely populated. It appears, as they'd moved the dance from January forward to November, due to being snowed off for two years, many had not turned up, and the gig was due to start at 19.45, so we weren't that late. Phew!!!
The dance went well, despite only 23 dancers, and the band were together and had fun. Also the organisers provided smiley - cheese, ham and tuna sandwiches with separate smiley - tomato, pickle and mustard, and bake well tart to follow. And smiley - ale. Result.

Even better, being the non-driver MMF had two smiley - ale and also two rounds of sandwiches to the home! No snap needed for Saturday.

Quick pack up, smiley - 2cents in pocket, and journey back to East Croydon.

Arranged to leave fiddle with guitarist for final gig in a fortnight, for ease of travel, and waited for train. Oops. Big step so ramp needed. Thankfully the guard provided a ramp, and arranged for the same at Clapham Junction. And the guard was there, waiting. A first for MMF. A quick loo stop at the disabled loo, except it was occupied. Except the girl hadn't locked the door properly. And the attendant wanted to know how I had a RADAR key. A key, usually provided by the Council to the disabled, to access accessible toilets. (bought mine online for £4.50).

Pointed out MMF was disabled and had even right to key. At same time couple turned up with girl in real distress, so let her in first. Appears she was in last trimester and needed to visit regularly. Finally, after a delay, headed to the smiley - bus stop. Checked app to see when the hammersmith smiley - bus was due. Nothing. Should have been 00.32. Decision time. Bus to Richmond due at 00.40. So way to see if 00.32 arrived, or stroll to next stop for 00.40. Decided on later, only for 00.32 to arrive. smiley - sadface No time to changer stops, so took 00.40. 40 minute journey to Richmond, which took 30. smiley - smiley

Last leg. Now just to wait for last smiley - bus. 15 minute wait. Richmond can be a bit hairy at 01.20 due to late revellers and drunks, so pleased when the smiley - bus arrived, and the Driver was performing like Senna, so home by 01.35. smiley - disco

Time for a couple of smiley - ale to chill, a prerequisite after a gig and a long journey, and time for smiley - zzz.

An 'interesting' day. smiley - laugh

smiley - ta for reading.

smiley - ok

MMF

smiley - musicalnote

Post 2

Amy Pawloski, aka 'paper lady'--'Mufflewhump'?!? click here to find out... (ACE)

[Amy P]

Post 3

Asteroid Lil - Offstage Presence

Jeez, you really have to want to make music, to run that sort of gauntlet. Well played, sir!

Post 4

MMF - Keeper of Mustelids, with added P.M.A., is now in a relationship.

It is done purely for love. Little smiley - 2cents in it, but have been known to leave at 17.00 when working in London, and not being home before 03.00. smiley - goodluck after 15 years, one of the band suggested meeting me at East Croydon and getting me to and from the gigs. Previously I'd made my own way by public transport, come rain or shine, and often relying on cabs as well.

Had many years of fun on night smiley - bus. smiley - laugh

MMF

smiley - musicalnote

Post 5

bobstafford

smiley - smiley well done

Post 6

You can call me TC

Phew! I followed that on the edge of my chair, hoping you'd get home OK. Although you must have done, or you couldn't have posted.

Do you realise you're the second person to complain about the queue in Tesco in their journal today?

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for MMF - Keeper of Mustelids, with added P.M.A., is now in a relationship.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more