This is the Message Centre for frenchbean

Hurrah!

Post 1

frenchbean

I am able to access h2g2 from my w*rk computer. This a great news and now that I am gainfully employed again, should mean that I can keep on top of various threads during my lunch hour smiley - ok

The first day at school is always overwhelming, isn't it? I have met dozens of people, already been taken out for coffee and cakes smiley - drool had three meetings with managers and have a full diary for much of this week.

The thing I am most looking forward to is being able to walk away from here at 5pm and leave it all behind...

And then I shall spend the evening tackling the broadband set-up at home

So far so good smiley - biggrin

Thanks to all of you who have been wishing me well smiley - tasmiley - hug

Fb

Hurrah!

Post 2

AlsoRan80

Very dear fb

You soumd so well and happy. I am thrilled about it.

We had some friends in S. Rhodesia - (now Zimbabwe) They came from New Zealand and they owned a nursery which they called the Kiaora Nursery.

It was with the wife of the owner of this nursery that I went to my first Chelsea flower show and met the very famous Percy Thrower, who was the first "guru" to have his own TV programme on gardening on the BBC.

Good luck my dear, and I feel sure that you weill meet many wonderful people in New Zealand who will become very good friends to you.

with much affection

Christiane. AR80

Hurrah!

Post 3

Skankyrich [?]

And if you've missed any of the details, folks, you can catch up with the latest in this week's smiley - thepost - the Witters makes a welcome return smiley - biggrin

Glad it's going well for you out there, FB smiley - smooch

Hurrah!

Post 4

U168592

Settling in quickly I hope smiley - smiley

Hurdles and hiccups aside, looks like you've found your feet yet again smiley - winkeye

smiley - hug

Hurrah!

Post 5

frenchbean

I hope so, Matt smiley - smiley I feel overwhelmed by the amount of purely system stuff I have to learn in my new place of work smiley - yikes But I always know that the first couple of weeks are horrendous, until it all starts to fall into place.

I've been struggling to set up wireless bb at home this evening. I am online, but when I unplug the wires, it goes offline smiley - huhsmiley - cross I have no idea what I've done wrong, but at least I can stay online with wires all over the place smiley - headhurts I'll have to call somebody tomorrow - I don't have the strength right now smiley - puff

Fb

Hurrah!

Post 6

Prof Animal Chaos.C.E.O..err! C.E.Idiot of H2G2 Fools Guild (Official).... A recipient of S.F.L and S.S.J.A.D.D...plus...S.N.A.F.U.

after you've settled in etc, WE all want to come down there for a holiday and to meet you, have you room to put us all upsmiley - winkeye(don't mind sharing)

Hurrah!

Post 7

Gnomon - time to move on

Will that be your first time outside of Yorkshire, Prof? smiley - winkeye

Hurrah!

Post 8

Prof Animal Chaos.C.E.O..err! C.E.Idiot of H2G2 Fools Guild (Official).... A recipient of S.F.L and S.S.J.A.D.D...plus...S.N.A.F.U.

smiley - whistlesmiley - laughsmiley - winkeye

Hurrah!

Post 9

Elentari

Glad to hear it's all going fairly well, fb. smiley - smiley

Hurrah!

Post 10

Websailor

Hello Fb,

I am sure you will sort the bb out. You are a resourceful lady. Three weeks at least in a new job to feel you are getting a handle on it, but you are used to taking on new things and you will be fine.

Just make sure you get enough sleep, till you get settled, or small probs seem like big probs.

smiley - goodluck Thinking about you.

smiley - hug

Websailor smiley - dragon

Hurrah!

Post 11

frenchbean

Aah, the Wisdom of Websailor smiley - smiley

Happily sleep does not seem to be a problem at the moment smiley - ok Mind you, if the heffalump overhead gets up in the middle of the night, so do I smiley - cross but as long as I can get straight back to sleep I don't mind too much.

The shenanigans of trying to set up my wireless connection last night have unexpectedly borne fruit. I went to bed tired and extremely grumpy because it wasn't working. When I got home this evening, I plugged in the modem and all the lights smiley - eureka came on. So I decided to give the computer a go... and smiley - boing it works smiley - wow

Happy Frenchbean smiley - biggrin

Day two at work was a bit more enlightening. I reckon 6 months to settle into a new job smiley - puff So I have a way to go yet.

No room for visitors in this little rabbit hutch, Prof smiley - sadface But once I have my spacious house in the country, you're welcome to come and pitch your tent in the paddock smiley - winkeye

Fb

Hurrah!

Post 12

Researcher 198131

Are you saying that all this time the modem wasn't plugged in?
Or, is it that it just decided to work and wouldn't before? (Dealing with computers myself, I would totally believe this)

Great to hear you're settling in so well.

smiley - elf

Hurrah!

Post 13

frenchbean

I wish it had been that simple, Taralome. The modem was switched on, but it simply wasn't making a connection between computer and itself. But the next day, it miraculously worked smiley - eureka It's one of life's mysteries which I'm content to remain unexplained, particularly as it has remained working smiley - ok

Yup... settling in slowly and starting to feel more at home smiley - smiley

Hurrah!

Post 14

Websailor

Morning, Fb,

Have a good day. it wet, very windy and very cold here. Catch you at the weekend maybe.

Websailor smiley - dragon

Hurrah!

Post 15

frenchbean

Hello Websailor smiley - smiley You just caught me. i'm about to pack my bag and go to work. Of course, I can log on at work too smiley - ok but I don't like to do it too much: my computer is far to visible smiley - winkeyesmiley - laugh

Hurrah!

Post 16

Ivan the Terribly Average

That's what keeps me from posting to hootoo from the office. It really is unfair, being at the most conspicuous desk.

Hurrah!

Post 17

frenchbean

It's also the fact that I'm now a senior member of staff and my behaviour is supposed to be exemplary smiley - laugh I'd better not lead the youngsters astray. Shame...

Hello Ivan smiley - hug Nice to see you around. Coming to NZ soon? smiley - winkeye

Hurrah!

Post 18

Ivan the Terribly Average

Probably not terribly soon... I'll be in Hobart late next month, and that'll take care of my leave entitlements for a while. It'll take care of my budget too - I could get a return ticket to Tokyo for about the same as a return ticket to Hobart - that can't possibly be right, surely.

Key: Complain about this post