This is the Message Centre for Icy North

Math meh

Post 1

Galaxy Babe - eclectic editor

Hiya Icysmiley - hugsmiley - chocolateteapot

I have been reading stuff about Larry Tesler - as is my want; I know some people find the Deathlist game in poor taste but I regard it as a research tool and always learn something fascinating from people's obits.

I brought you this http://www.nomodes.com/Larry_Tesler_Personal/Proof.html
because I don't understand one bit of it smiley - silly but thought it might interest/intrigue you. I didn't want to post deeper stuff at the Deathlist game and go off topic. smiley - offtopic

I have reached that page from http://www.nomodes.com/Larry_Tesler_Personal/Birthday_math.html

Now then. I went on a weekend away with my partner to Paris 6-9 December 2019. By coach (the travelling was smiley - bruised) and ferry. I'd say there were less than 20 of us (all local). The married couple sat behind us (assigned seats at time of booking) were friendly and we saw a lot of them, they were the only people I added from the trip to my Facebook friends list. I was a tad surprised when I visited the lady's FB page to find she shares my birthday. Not sure about the year, but we're roughly the same age. I haven't heard of this "Not a coincidence" thing before, just find it intriguing smiley - smiley

Math meh

Post 2

Icy North

What Tesler’s done is link the following results mathematically:

1. The smallest number of people in a room before it becomes likely that two share a birthday is 23. There are 253 possible pairings to check between those 23 people.

2. The smallest number of other people in a room before it’s likely one of them shares your birthday is also 253.

These are calculated in different ways, and the result appears to be a coincidence.

Tester found a new calculation to show why they are the same.

Math meh

Post 3

Galaxy Babe - eclectic editor

Thanks very much Icy!smiley - hug

Me, I just heard the Twilight Zone theme start up when I discovered my new friend's birthday... smiley - silly

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Icy North

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more