This is the Message Centre for Shapeshifter

Subscribers

Post 41

draculina

just to be one more pain, bandido.... mint=hierbabuena in spanish: the good herb.... i remember that because there is a little island in san francisco bay with that charming name.... although el bandido would probably more at home on alcatraz...

smiley - dragon

Subscribers

Post 42

toxxin - ¡umop apisdn w,I 'aw dlaH

Good to see ya, Greg. Hmmmm, Miranda gives me too much credit. All I've heard is that hootoo was originally independent from the beeb and was inspired by Douglas Adams' 'Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy'. Apparently the beeb took it over as a going concern, which is why it is so much better than the rest of the beeb message boards in conception and implementation.

You could always search for info on the facilities here - top right of page. Try the front page too. Maybe there are leads there.

Doc.

Subscribers

Post 43

Valentine

now I have to issue an official denial. Greg said he's heard about "Googlewhacking" and how it's the latest craze. I said "DocT was talking about doing that ages ago but not by that name".

And can I have smiley - bunny and smiley - flyhi instead of smiley - tongueout, please? If we're allowed more than one. Ta.

Subscribers

Post 44

Shapeshifter

Tried my best, but you do have a rather long name.

JR

Subscribers

Post 45

draculina

jr... the morris dancer is not part of the name... btw could u put me on one line pse...smiley - ta

smiley - dragon

Subscribers

Post 46

Shapeshifter

What text size are you using on your browser? I'm using medium and it looks ok, if you use large it looks a mess.

JR

Subscribers

Post 47

draculina

medium...

smiley - dragon

Subscribers

Post 48

Valentine

Yeah, you're right, Jimmy's name has been a bit of an albatross. I've changed it to "Valentine".

smiley - bunny is meaningless without the morris dancing, so it's gotta be both or no smiley - bunny. Sorry to muck you about.

I see Mustardland got restored first - just came here to say so and I see someone's said QQ's back too. Hurrah!

Subscribers

Post 49

Major I. Sworter

I wouldn't speak too soon old gal...the QQ board's Snafu, as per...smiley - grr

Subscribers

Post 50

Shapeshifter

Well, it looked ok my end, but I've taken out a space, any better?

JR

Subscribers

Post 51

Gregori K.

Sorry for the misinterpretation. Must check the facts in future. It's pure laziness, I'll Google it, hope its worth the effort.

Subscribers

Post 52

AliQuest

When I said "Hasta la vista" once to a Spanish colleague, he corrected me, saying that Spanish people normally say "Hasta lo".

In fact, when they said it to one another (as I later heard), it could easily be mistaken for "alo", which sounds like "hallo" to an English speaker. But it is indeed valedictory.

In view of what you say, I wonder if the lo is short for luego.

Subscribers

Post 53

Belle

Hmm - Graphic - Something tasteful? Damn - this is h2g2 though... You decide!

Subscribers

Post 54

Katy Tulip

Er, hi everyone. I'm known as Belgian Chocolates on the BBCi boards - I popped over for a look after seeing it mentioned in the Bull (Archers' board). What do I do to change my name?

smiley - winkeye Chox

Subscribers

Post 55

JR

Go to 'preferences' at the top or bottom of any page.

A notable feature of h2g2 is that it supports lots of links: a person's name on a posting is a link to their personal space, and if you post a url it becomes a link.

Subscribers

Post 56

Katy Tulip

Thanks JR!

It'll take a while to get used to this place though...

smiley - winkeye Chox

Subscribers

Post 57

JR

Yes, navigation can be a little strange, here are a few starting points.

If you click on somebody's name and go to their personal space, there you will find a list of their recent conversations, and who they were speaking to.

Another approach is to find a subject that interests you, either from the links on the front page, or using the search facility.

There are some links on the front page that will tell you how it all works. Should keep you amused for a while.

Subscribers

Post 58

Tiny 2nd

Hi B.C. glad you found your way here,make the most of it. Tom

Subscribers

Post 59

JR

Hello Chox, saw your query in another place, can't post URLs there but can here, goto http://www.theoldie.co.uk/ and look for messageboard, it's not h2g2, it's easy to navigate and you should find some friends there.

I would have left this message in your personal space, but until you write something there, nobody can leave messages for you. Just press the 'my space' button (top or bottom of any page), then the 'edit page' button (top right of your space) and write something.

JR

Subscribers

Post 60

toxxin - ¡umop apisdn w,I 'aw dlaH

Hi, Chox. This place is so vast that most of us only know our favourite parts of it. People's pages are all public, so follow folks round if they seem to have similar interests to your own.

Excellent name, by the way. Cheers, Toxx. smiley - smiley

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Shapeshifter

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more