A Conversation for Talking Point: One Minute Rants

"Helpful" Advice

Post 1

EyeofNewt

It drives me nuts when I have some problem, say a health problem or a medical procedure, and people feel that they have to tell me either (a) they had something much worse (if I have to have surgery, they had to have twice as much surgery, and they had complications!)(reminds me of the Monty Python skit "You had feet?", only not half as funny), or (b) they know lots of other people who had this procedure or problem and it was NOTHING, so I shouldn't make such a big deal out of it. This second category of people is the same bunch that tells me that nobody else experiences any pain or side effects with this procedure, as if I'm making it up, pretending to hurt when everything's really all right.

Who needs advice like this?

"Helpful" Advice

Post 2

span(ner in the works) - check out The Forum A1146917 for some ace debate

a variation on this situation which is not only annoying but also really thoughtless is "advice" to pregnant women, especially first time mothers. I'm yet to sprog out, but friends and relations have frequently been stopped in the street by complete strangers and had their bump felt and then told absolute horror stories. why do women do this to each other????

span

"Helpful" Advice

Post 3

warhead

The best advice for first-time expectant mothers is not to take notice of advice from anyone else .... er, except THIS advice, of course.

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more