A Conversation for 'Fantasia' - The Disney Versions

"Where's Mickey Mouse?"

Post 1

Cheerful Dragon

One major problem with Fantasia is The Sorcerer's Apprentice. Whenever a piece of Fantasia is shown on TV, this is it. When Fantasia was released on video, and later on DVD, it was Mickey Mouse on the cover.

A friend bought the video for her 6 year-old nephew, thinking Fantasia featured characters like Mickey, Donald and Goofy. She and her husband watched it before they gave it to the lad, and then took it back to the shop for a refund. It may have a 'U' certificate, but there is *no way* your average 6-year old would enjoy most of it. Similarly, I took Richard to see it at the cinema when it was 're-released' a while before it came out on video. A woman took her young children to see it and all we could hear for about half of the film was "Where's Mickey Mouse?" from one of the kids. (Just our luck they were sitting right behind us.smiley - cross) This totally ruined the experience for both of us.

Some bits of Fantasia / Fantasia 2000 are better than others. The 'Pastoral Symphony' section of Fantasia has 'dated' badly, for example - how many women nowadays bother about hats when going out on a date? But, taken as a whole, I find both films very enjoyable and am delighted to have them both on video. I am considering getting the 3-disc DVD set, though, 'cos I'd love to see the 'extras'.

"Where's Mickey Mouse?"

Post 2

Kerr_Avon - hunting stray apostrophes and gutting poorly parsed sentences

Don't forget U doesn't mean 'for childern', it means 'suitable for all', ie, it's not going to upset kids- doesn't mean it won't bore them Uc is the rating which means especially suited for children.

smiley - ale

"Where's Mickey Mouse?"

Post 3

Cheerful Dragon

Yes, I know that U just means 'suitable for all'. But some people take that to mean exactly what it says, regardless of the film's content. This is especially the case if all they've ever seen of the film is one clip, and if the film is marketed using a character that people know as being a "children's film" character. I can't remember if the 'Uc' classification existed when Fantasia first came out on video. It certainly didn't when Fantasia was first released as a film and the BBFC probably decided to go with the 'U' classification that the film had been given. I guess it's not their problem if parents don't check whether the film really *is* suitable for their kids. After all, most Disney animations get a 'U' certificate, so if *they're* OK for your average 5 year old, Fantasia *must* be OK in the eyes of the parents.

I notice that Toy Story got a PG certificate, whereas Toy Story 2 got a U. I guess a kid wrecking toys and then the toys ganging up on him was reckoned to be a bit violent for the kiddies.smiley - ermsmiley - huh In fact, none of the Disney films I have on video have 'Uc' certificates.

"Where's Mickey Mouse?"

Post 4

BouncyBitInTheMiddle

Well clearly Disney are going to have to go for an 18 rating on Fantasia 2006. Nudity and violence here we come...

Actually I loved Fantasia when I was a kid. I always was a little weird smiley - biggrin

"Where's Mickey Mouse?"

Post 5

CrystlHrt

My son, now 12, watched Fantasia sporadically from the time it was released on video - I think he was about 6. Of course he loved the Sorceror's Apprentice... but he also liked parts of the Nutcracker Suite and he loved the animation on the Dance of Hours. He also would watch the Rite of Spring and Night on Bald Mountain. He liked the images/music of Fantasia enough that he wanted Fantasia 2000 pre-purchased.

I feel it's important for children to be exposed to more than just what is specifically packaged for children (a la Rugrats and Barney). Will my son ever _choose_ classical music when there are a lot of choices? Probably not, but when he comes upon it, he's able to let his mind create a variety of images not born on MTV.

I would suggest that we should not deny children the access to a breadth of musical and animation styles. Perhaps a child would enjoy it background to building with lego's or coloring or some other creative task.

"Where's Mickey Mouse?"

Post 6

Tashalls, Muse of Flights of Fancy (Losing Weight at A858170)

I soundly agree with the above - Fantasia was regularly put on our TV when the 3-year old daughter of our cousins came over. She loved it, although the Night on Bald Mountain scared her a little when she was small (she's now going on 5).

I will definitely be showing my kids (when I have them) this one along with the other stock-standard Disney stories.

"Where's Mickey Mouse?"

Post 7

Number Six

My three year-old niece loves the whole thing, apparently - particularly the Elgar bit.

smiley - mod

"Where's Mickey Mouse?"

Post 8

Cheerful Dragon

I'm not saying that small children won't get *anything* out of Fantasia. It all depends on the child. The little brat behind us at the cinema was only interested in Mickey Mouse, not the beautiful fairies, etc. in the Nutcracker section, or even in the dinosaurs in the 'Rites of Spring' section - in my day most small children *loved* dinosaurs. (I still do!) As a child I would probably have loved most of it, but I didn't get to see it until I was about 16 or 18. (I took my mum to see it. We both loved it.)

Mind you, my parents introduced me to classical music from an early age, but not in what I would reckon as the best way. It was always a case of 'Sit down and listen to this. No, you can't read a book, you've got to just *listen*.' I enjoy classical music and listen to it when I'm in the mood for it, but my parents went a fair way to putting me off it for life. It's far better if it's on 'in the background', as somebody suggested, so that a child gets to know it and know what they like.

No Subject

Post 9

germ1010

You aren't weird, you're eccentric. smiley - smiley

My 3yr old totally got it.

Post 10

germ1010

My 3yr old toddler also inquired of Mickey's whereabouts up to the Sorcerer's Apprentice, but he also totally got, enjoyed and was able to share different aspects of the film with his Nana later.

He did not even become restless as he does with most movies. He sat, at attention, through the entire film.

The first time I saw the film was as a teenager with my family. Noone was even remotely interested. "Where's the talking," was all you heard. smiley - smiley

Key: Complain about this post