This is the Message Centre for Deb

NaJoPoMo 2014 Day 3 - Leaving my dog

Post 1

Deb

In order to allow me my family holiday in Dorset last week, I put my dog, Harry, in kennels. Before last week, in the nine years I've had him I've been on 5 holidays. I went to France twice, once for a long weekend and once for a Mon-Fri break, and during both of those trips my brother and sister-in law moved into my house to look after him. The other three holidays were with my mum & stepdad and their dog in their caravan, so Harry came too. They've sold the caravan now, so that's no longer an option, plus Harry seems to get grumpier with age and really doesn't mix well with other dogs. I haven't had a holiday for the last five years.

I therefore decided it wouldn't make me a bad person to board him for 5 nights at the local Border Collie Trust - he's a collie cross, they'll understand him & treat him well. My mum's dog was also boarded there - not that that made any difference to Harry as they don't really get on.

I left him there on Monday morning and was greatly relieved when he immediately seemed to settle down on his bed with the rawhide chew I'd just given him. I left without ceremony, despute wanting to throw my arms round him and squeeze him. It's better for him if I walk away & don't look back, he doesn't pick up on my stress then (or something like that). But I cried on the way home.

Despite enjoying my holiday, and loving spending so much quality time with my niece & nephews, I missed Harry every day of the holiday, especially when we were at the seaside - he does love chasing the waves! So it was a great relief to pick him up after lunch on Saturday. When I arrived he was lying on his bed quietly, not barking like a lot of the other dogs. I don't really know if that's a good thing or not - had he just abandoned all hope? He was certainly pleased to see me, though, licking my face and crying. This time I did throw my arms around him and squeeze him!

Harry's nearly 10 now, I don't know how many years he has left and I really don't like the idea of him in such a noisy & possibly stressful environment. So I don't think I'll be having another holiday any time soon.

Deb smiley - cheerup

Post 2

FWR

Always hated leaving our too, but they always seemed to enjoy it, especially our collie cross! Happy hols!

Post 3

Superfrenchie

smiley - orib

Post 4

Researcher 14993127

Redditsmiley - spacesmiley - frogsmiley - spacesmiley - dog

smiley - cat

Post 5

Asteroid Lil - Offstage Presence

When I had a dobermann, I always took her to the same place when I had to go out of town; after the first few times the howls of anguish subsided into quiet resignation.

Post 6

Amy Pawloski, aka 'paper lady'--'Mufflewhump'?!? click here to find out... (ACE)

[Amy P]

Post 7

Magwitch - My name is Mags and I am funky.

Magsmiley - witch

Post 8

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

Is there a vacation that he can be included in?

Post 9

Deb

Not anymore, Paul. I'm single and try as I might I can't think what I'd do with him if I had to pop into a shop or go to the toilet. I wouldn't contemplate leaving him tied up outside a shop. And he's such a grumpy-bum with other dogs that I can't holiday with other people either.

Deb smiley - cheerup

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Deb

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more