This is the Message Centre for Deb

NaJoPoMo 2014 Day 2 - 8 go down to Dorset

Post 1

Deb

I've just spent a wonderful 5 days in a caravan in Dorset with my mum & stepdad, my brother and sister-in-law and their 3 kids. I shared a room with my 7 year old niece and woke to her beaming smile every morning, and as soon as we said good morning her brothes (6 & 5) heard us and in they'd come. I willingly took on the role of early morning babysitter, letting everyone else have at least 15 minutes longer than they would have had. It seems there's no such thing as a lie-in once you have kids. At least the dog lets me go back to bed after he's been out for his early morning trip up the garden!

On this holiday I discovered Lyme Regis. It stole my heart completely and we spent 2 lovely days there, on the beach, walking on the cobb, searching for fossils. The kids loved that.

Unfortunately we had to endure the evening entertainment on the campsite cos the kids loved it. But does it really need to be THAT loud? I understand it during the kids segment but during the bingo? Every time someone won, while they were going to check their ticket they had the DJ playing a pump it up thing and everyone was expected to pump their arms in the air. Thankfully we never stayed late.

Dorset's my favourite county in the UK, and given the chance I'd live there like a shot. But oh, it's internet connection! I spent ages trying to get on-line, and when I did it reminded my of the days of dial-up, only even slower. I actually waited for 10 minutes for a web page to load at one point. So when I become a millionaire and can retire to a quaint cottage in the Dorset countryside, I can see I'll need to spend some serious time researching areas that actually get a decent connection before I even start looking for my dream home smiley - biggrin

When we left on Saturday morning I felt the holiday had been exactly long enough. I was completely peopled out, and really quite desperate to liberate my dog from the kennels, but more on that tomorrow.

It was a really lovely holiday, but it was also really lovely to come home.

Deb smiley - cheerup

Post 2

Asteroid Lil - Offstage Presence

When you're a millionaire, you'll be able to afford your own satellite connection.

Post 3

Deb

smiley - biggrin Ah, I never thought of that!

Deb smiley - cheerup

Post 4

Superfrenchie

smiley - orib

Post 5

coelacanth

smiley - orib*crosses Dorset off the list of places to retire to.*smiley - biro
smiley - bluefish

Post 6

Herenna - southpaw for now

smiley - ok

Post 7

Sol

Family holoidays are great! It's nice because everybody has time to send with each other I think instead of being distracted by getting on with stuff.

I shall believe you about Lyme Regis but I don't think it will ever recover in my estimation after from being the setting for the French Lieutenant's Woman.

I'd forgotten it is a fossil place though. Did you find any?

Post 8

Deb

We found a few stones to make my nephew think he had actual amonites, but no, nothing really. The looking was fun, though.

Deb smiley - cheerup

Post 9

Sol

Oh sure! smiley - ok

Post 10

Amy Pawloski, aka 'paper lady'--'Mufflewhump'?!? click here to find out... (ACE)

[Amy P]

Post 11

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

Your niece and nephews are 7, 6, and 5 years old respectively? smiley - yikes Sounds to me like their mother had three very stressful years smiley - cdouble.

Post 12

Deb

She certainly did, Paul, but they struggled to get pregnant the first time & didn't expect the next two to be so quick! However, they did want them close together so they'd be playmates - and they are.

Deb smiley - cheerup

Post 13

Researcher 14993127

Redditsmiley - spacesmiley - frog

smiley - cat

Post 14

Magwitch - My name is Mags and I am funky.

Late as ever.

Mags

Post 15

Websailor

My favourite place too Deb. Mobile phone reception is bad in some areas too. We found some wi-fi cafes, one at a cafe near Lulworth Castle which was brilliant.

You got your holiday just in time before the weather broke.

smiley - cheers
Websailor smiley - dragon

Post 16

Deb

I know. It was a shock to the system this morning having to de-ice the car when on Friday my niece & nephews were swimming in the sea in Sandbanks smiley - brr

Deb smiley - cheerup

Post 17

Websailor

Sandbanks, oh my goodness, how the other half lives smiley - rofl

I really love Lyme Regis, West Bay, Lulworth Cove, and Charmouth if you like fossils (to buy sadly!) So many places were cordoned off this year because of landslips that we were not able to go to some places.

I enjoyed the market down that way too.

Websailorsmiley - dragon

Post 18

Deb

That was a public beach in Sandbanks smiley - rofl It cost the princely sum of £2, which was the daily car park fee. Fabulous beach, the café wasn't open but the toilets were and there was even an outside shower to get the sand off.

Deb smiley - cheerup

Post 19

Websailor

oh, will have to investigate next time I am down.

Websailor smiley - dragon

Key: Complain about this post