A Conversation for Tom Crean - Antarctic Hero

Tom Crean

Post 1

Rathlynn

Great article on a great man.
Just last week a statue of him was unveiled in Annascaul. Lovely statue but I can't help feeling that as mentioned in the article, Tom Crean would be somewhat uncomfortable with the attention.

One of the reasons I believe that he remined an unknown in Ireland for so long was that there was a certain 'taboo' associated with Irishmen who 'took the Queen's shilling'. When, after serving in the British forces they tended to keep their heads down...especially in Kerry!

rathlynn

Tom Crean

Post 2

Woodpigeon

Hi Rathlynn,

Yes, I agree - I think that was the undercurrent. Apparently it was quite common in Kerry (and elsewhere I guess) for many young men who would not be entitled to land to join the army or the navy. So many Irishmen were involved, and died in World War 1 it is quite incredible that it was forgotten for so long. There is definitely a thaw now - a prominent IRA man visited the Somme a year ago or so to commemorate his grandfather who died there.

I must pay a visit to Annascaul soon to check out the statue!

smiley - ok

smiley - peacedoveWoodpigeon

Tom Crean

Post 3

Recumbentman

Excellent Entry!

But F47997?thread=401621&post=5097507#p5097507

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Tom Crean - Antarctic Hero

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more