This is the Message Centre for Orinoco

Field researching

Post 1

Hypoman

I've come over to ask you about Canberra, and whether or not you might be interested in helping me find a few more people who have something to say about it! I ask this because a) you're Australian, and therefore have some idea of what Canberra actually means, and b) you may actually have been there in the recent past, and might therefore have some more intimate knowledge of the place.

I've already contacted bubster and Old Wolf, but I could use an extra ear to the ground. This 'Field Researcher' stuff could get exhausting, I suspect.

How you going in general, anyway...?

Field researching

Post 2

Orinoco

Hey. Not too bad. Frankly swamped. Working on the SETI uni project... already lost a chunk of writing, which sucks.

Haven't been to sunny Canberra in years, sorry. Most of what I know about it comes from listening to Helen Razer on JJJ, and therefore should probably not be committed to print. More than happy to help proof read and stuff, though.

Here's a suggestion: Got a GPS reciever? Use it to mark important places. I'll be doing the same to brisbane.

~ Orinoco

Field researching

Post 3

Hypoman

Great idea with the GPS thing! The collaborative study of Brisbane sounds like a good one, too - alas it is some time since last I trod those streets...smiley - winkeye Helen Razer's stuff is exactly the sort of thing which would be useful, but I haven't investigated it terribly thoroughly (our radio is hell bent, seemingly, on denying me access to JJJ, which ticks me off mightily, I can assure you!). Know anyone at JJJ who might be able to give me some transcriptssmiley - bigeyes?

How's the SETI thing going? How did you "lose" a chunk of writing? Keep me updated - or let me look at what you're working on. It might give me some idea of what I'm meant to be doing myself! I have a few ideas, but I've really only just started working on this today, so they're still at a very protoplasmic stage of development.

Anyway, good to make your acquaintance properly, finally...smiley - smiley!

Regards,

H.

Field researching

Post 4

Orinoco

Actually, I do know someone at the ABC, but she's in a totally different area.

I lost a chunk through the simple technique of not saving it. Stupid me.

We're just starting up the SETI project with three of us, and are getting the formalities out of the way. A good starting point seems to be an 'outline' of the desired final work. I'm hoping that as long as everyone is thinking along the same lines, everything else will fall into place.

This may be overly optimistic. We shall see.

~ Orinoco.

Field researching

Post 5

Hypoman

Sounds pretty much like what I had in mind for the Canberra trip. I react with sympathy to the "cautious optimism" bit, too. I'll work on that basis to pull my team together, I hope...smiley - smiley!

I might have to go through the official channels to ask about Razer transcripts, but I dare say it can be done.

I'm having a grievous attack of the pips this morning because the big car race on the weekend (the "GMC 400" in Canberra) has disrupted the bike path network to such an extent that it's no longer worth riding to work, at least for the rest of this week and part of next. I hate car racing, I'm sorry to say!

Regards,

H.

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Orinoco

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more