A Conversation for Cures for Apathy

Wake-up Call

Post 1

Pinniped

Apathy is a bad thing. If you're apathetic, you've become so inert that you can't even enjoy being lazy.
Occasional laziness is pleasurable, of course, and sometimes even well-earned (though having had to work for it does kind of take the edge off it, yeah?)
It's if you get into a pattern of regular laziness that you need to watch out. One reason for this can be because you're sick of your path in life, and just haven't worked it out yet.
The key to testing this is to try doing something purposeful. Have a go at something you know you enjoy doing, but that has nothing whatsoever to do with what you're supposed to be doing.
Like if you can't raise any enthusiasm for your work, subvert it. If you're supposed to be stacking a supermarket shelf, have a go at conceptual art. If you're supposed to be directing traffic, explore your ballet skills.
And instead of that urgently-required, brain-petrifying management report, take some time to think how your job could be done better and more pleasurably, and write a report on that instead. If you can see far enough from your workspace, go further and re-write corporate strategy.
When you've done this, consider your effort carefully. If it doesn't seem all that clever, stow it in a drawer for later refinement. You'll probably find that the apathy has lifted for a while.
If, however, you find you've surprised yourself with your insight, then submit that report. You might find a grateful employer, one who will encourage and challenge you now that his eyes are open wider. And if you get criticised or even sacked, then you now know that what you needed was a new job all along. One that allows you to dance in uniform.

Wake-up Call

Post 2

baRuk

that really makes sense, pinniped.

that's what i normally use to beat apathy-change.

i also noticed that when i'm in love with someone, i'm all charged up for the day. (i'm famous for being grumpy in the mornings)

~baRuk

Wake-up Call

Post 3

Pinniped

Love is potent fuel all right.
Bit dangerous, though, if you ask me.

Change is the best thing in life, for sure. Start a new thing before you're tired of the old thing. It keeps the old thing going as well as the new thing.

(No dearest, I didn't mean anything of the sort...)
Pinsmiley - smiley

Wake-up Call

Post 4

sprout

I love the definition of apathy as being too inert to enjoy being lazy. smiley - biggrin There's a lot of truth in that.

Apathy is a symptom, but it doesn't have to mean that you need a radical change. Evolution not revolution.

Sprout (doing something to combat his own apathy by taking four months of work and travelling through Africa with his better half).

Wake-up Call

Post 5

Trout Montague

How travel you, Mr(s) Sprout? And where?

Wake-up Call

Post 6

sprout

Tanzania, South Africa, Namibia, Botswana.

Kenya originally but Mrs Sprout and the FCO put the kybosh on it post the business with the BA flights. Can't be helped.

Mixture of trekking, Kilimanjaro, Usembara, Drakensberg... meeting some friends in Botswana and SA, some touristy stuff, some parks. Should be a good trip. I'll put the full plan on my journal at some point.

Sprout

Wake-up Call

Post 7

Trout Montague

Have you got a route/itinerary?

Wake-up Call

Post 8

sprout

I've put most of the details into a journal entry - "into africa" on my page. The itinerary doesn't make perfect geographical sense - (we criss cross SA a bit) but we're trying to fit in with Botswana school holidays and various other imperatives.

Any tips on things to see or avoid en route? Southern Africa (in the largest sense is one of your previous habitats, no?

Sprout

Wake-up Call

Post 9

Trout Montague

I was wondering if you're overlanding or flying?

En route south from Tanzania, Lake Malawi's imperative I'd say, as is Victoria Falls.

Trout (going now to your page)

Wake-up Call

Post 10

sprout

Not overlanding. Neither of us has any experience with 4wd or mending car engines so it doesn't seem a good option. The aim is to use public transport as much as poss, and to keep the internal flights to a minimum.

I don't think we can make either of Lake Malawi or Victoria Falls unfortunately. Too much time for us to get to them.

Sprout

Wake-up Call

Post 11

Trout Montague

Yes, I've now seen your itinerary ... never mind the rest of the stuff still gives me itchy feet.

Where in Botswana are your friends based?

Wake-up Call

Post 12

sprout

Moshupa. It's on the belt of towns to the west of Gaborone.

Sprout

Wake-up Call

Post 13

Trout Montague

Well you go and have a good holiday.

"Tsamayo sentle"

Wake-up Call

Post 14

Trout Montague

Imagine you have nothing to do. This is through no fault of your own. You are eager and industrious and willing to work. You thrive on the adrenaline of working towards and meeting deadlines, of having too much to do and too little time. When your desk is full, you are alive, your brain is operating in overdrive. Your best, most creative, most innovative work is produced during the thrill of the chase.

But then work dries up, maybe you've done all there is to do. Too efficient you were. So you have nothing. A week goes by during which time you try to look busy, you tidy your desk, do all your filing, and make sure everything is bang up to date. Then you really do have nothing. Another week, and another. Finally a task comes your way. Shall you sit bolt upright and answer it promptly. After all, you've nothing else to do. Do you f**k ... you let it fester in your in-tray until you're pestered for a response, creating a hopelessly tight deadline for yourself, which you achieve of course. You've become apathetic. You've become a pathetic employee. You're brain-dead.

Your fault? Absolutely not. Get another job you loser! Before you rot in your rut.

Wake-up Call

Post 15

abbi normal "Putting on the Ritz" with Dr Frankenstein

"I love the definition of apathy as being too inert to enjoy being lazy. There's a lot of truth in that."
Yeah!
smiley - disco

Key: Complain about this post