A Conversation for Left-handers

Left-handed castles and scouts

Post 81

AEndr, The Mad Hatter

I'm a Kerr!

Left-handed archers

Post 82

Baker

Chainsaws and most power tools (circular saws especially) are designed to kill or maim us lefties. Automatic rifles are bad too - especially the US M16, which ejects the red-hot cartridge cases down the front of the shooter's shirt (that's the good thing about the M14/M1 Garand - it ejects straight foward smiley - smiley. Also, some kitchen knives have a slight angle to the blade to guide it away from the hand holding the material being cut (if you're LH, it goes toward the hand holding the work- I learned the hard way). Interestinly enough, I'm typing this with only my left hand - didn't notice until just now.

I'm left handed...

Post 83

Kate

You play guitar?!?!

Oh wow. You learn something new every day. Especially when you're unobservant like me smiley - smiley

Left-handed archers

Post 84

Bruce

I hope the left handed typing isnt the result of learning about right handed knives smiley - winkeye

;^)#

Left-handed archers

Post 85

Baker

No, it was just the tip of my pinky, and it was reattached and is functioning perfectly - except it's crooked. smiley - bigeyes

I'm left handed...

Post 86

what you know as km

But don't ask to hear any songs, or he'll, erm, not... comply... and start plotting your downfall in that sinister Ant way of his... sinister, left-handedish Ant way... he may have the rest of you fooled, but I know he's a sinister left-handedish sort of guy, and I intend to warn the world and foil his evil... his... sorry, dropped the thread. I'll come back later and see if I can work out what I was trying to say. Or better yet, I won't. smiley - smiley

Left-handed archers

Post 87

AEndr, The Mad Hatter

I have a left handed knife. I have to keep it separate from the rest of my(righty) flatmates. The rest of my kitchen stuff is pretty much ambidextrous, but the lefty knife is very sharp and rather lethal to righties. What gets me, is that it says left-handed clearly on the blade - who would expect writing on the blade. And I have warned them all about it, but they just don't expect a knife to be dangerous to a particular group of people and made me take it out of the knife drawer after each of them nearly nicked themselves (no injuries yet). I don't mind protecting these poor, lesser able, right handers from the tools of a more select group of people. BUT They won't let me insist they take the righty bread knife out of the drawer too, as it could be dangerous to me (although I am too used to noticing before use).

I am witholding cake baking occurences until they see reason. Well, actually, I am baking cakes for events outside the flat but not making extra for the flat with the bakes, thus subjecting them to the smells....

Left-handed archers

Post 88

Bruce

An especially effective way to get the message acrosssmiley - smiley

;^)#

Left-handed archers

Post 89

Jan^

Start brewing coffee left-handed and only frying bacon from the left-hand side of the pig and they will be putty in your hands......or is it hand?
LOL smiley - fish

Left-handed archers

Post 90

AEndr, The Mad Hatter

I already make tea left handed and do a lot of other things left handed

I will subtly do some cleaning in the kitchen, causing all sorts of things to be cunningly aligned to the left-hander's preferential side. they can't complain about the cleaning and will get really confused over the rest.

they are already moaning about the bread I baked yesterday (nothing like the smell of rising and baking bread...) and tonight is a chocolate cake...

Left-handedness

Post 91

Baldrick

Hello? Anyone still interested in this?
If you are, you might have noticed that someone mentioned he played cricket righty because of the strong hand thing. True, but I got the same effect for many years by swapping my hands, but batting left way round. Until I noticed that it was buggering up my wrists something rotten, that is. smiley - smiley Anyway, playing right way, I can't hit a barn door from two yards. How didya overcome that?
Also, there was a kid ar my primary school who wrote upside-down. Out teacher was always on at her to write 'the correct way up', but she just gave off the primary equivalent of b*****s to that.

smiley - tongueout

Left-handedness

Post 92

Yvonne aka india

Hullo

I'm a lefty and happy with it. Only just found this thread so I'm a bit late to take part. Reading back through the comments I've had some thoughts and observations.

Computers; I use the mouse in my right hand. This leaves my left hand free to write notes and numbers, best of both worlds.

Sport; When I played rounders my being left handedness caused problems. If the other team weren't paying attention they would have the field arranged wrongly, leaving a big open space on my right side for me to hit towards. I've heard that in baseball left handed pitchers are highly sought after, their different throw momentarily confusing the batter.

Aendr - I was a Brownie and Guide too. Learned to shake hands with my left hand. Nowadays when I go to shake hands with someone I automatically offer them my left hand, which generally leads to a shake akin to when a gentleman kisses the back of a ladies hand in Elizabethan-type times.

Utensils. Is this where we lefties get some justice? I was taught to use a knife and fork the right-handed way, but for meals such as pasta and chinese, where only the fork is used, I hold it in my left hand; after all, that's the hand they taught me so that's the hand I'll use! smiley - nahnah Through exposure I've got used to right-handed scissors. My well meaning mother bought me a left-handed pair which I can't use. smiley - grr I've got so used to applying pressure to make rightie scissors work that these just chew up the paper and don't cut it at all.

There are many other left-handicaps as well as those previsouly mentioned. One I came across was desks in lecture halls, where the table is attached to the chair on the right arm. I find those impossible to use. Apologies for the long posting, but had a lot to catch up on.

Yvonne

Left-handedness

Post 93

John the gardener says, "Free Tibet!"

smiley - winkeye.reven naht etal retteB. ennovY iH

GTJ

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more