A Conversation for The Tetrapod Trackway, Valentia Island, Co Kerry, Ireland

I have been there

Post 1

MarkyMumble

It is a little tricky to get to ( last time I went 6 years ago ).
There is a bunch of houses just before the radio station one of which was ( hopefully still is ) painted all over with large flowers. If you head across the fields towards the sea from this house you should be able to find it
The cows are quite friendly BTW.

The island itself is a wonderful place to visit. The far side towards Bray's Head has some pre-celtic diggings. Also there are a huge number of standing stones and other features across the island.

I have been there

Post 2

Woodpigeon

Yes, the house you mention is still there. I had complety forgotten about it until you reminded me. (I visited it for the first time about 2 months ago). There is a car park under development there, and a path has been created down to the trackway itself. There are also a number of rock specimens with well preserved ripple marks. It's going to look really good when it is opened formally to the public in a few months time.

Regarding Valentia, I completely agree. It has a micro-climate all of it's own. There are tree ferns thriving there in the most unlikely places. If you want to get away from it all for a while, Valentia Island is a good place to go.

smiley - peacedoveWoodpigeon

I have been there

Post 3

Gnomon - time to move on

There's now a car park called "Tetrapod Car Park" and a gravel track down to the trackway. It's fairly steep. No wheelchair access.

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for The Tetrapod Trackway, Valentia Island, Co Kerry, Ireland

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more