A Conversation for The library

Books made into Films

Post 21

Phil

As he's just a young 'un, hope he does well. I also hope that all
the cast have read the books recently to get the right feel for what it's all about. I know they'll have the screenplays but it's not the same is it.

Books made into Films

Post 22

the Geez

The book "do androids dream of electric sheep" is, in my opinion, much better than the film. They left all the sub-plots out of the film (and their were a LOT of sub-plots in the book).

Y not check out http://www.philipkdick.com for more interesting stuff on PKD. (undoubtedly the greatest sci-fi writer ever).

I might write an article about him sometime....

Books made into Films

Post 23

SilverSolstice

My mom says the movie Fried Green Tomatoes was better than the book (I've never read it so I can't say)

Any one who has read Isaac Asimov's The Bicentennial Man: HOLLYWOOD IS RUINING IT!!!!!! The movie will come out Dec. 17 and apparently there are plans for Andrew Martin to fall in love. And marry. And this takes place AFTER he is declared a human being, which of course only came about because he arranged to die (in the story), so God only knows how they're going to wrangle THAT one out.....

I will see the movie.

I will find an address.

I will write a polite, courteous, articulate, mad-as-h*** letter detailing precisely where they went right and where they went wrong.

Pray I don't shriek aloud in the movie theater.
silversolstice
P.S.Anyone familiar with this story, feel free to come rant with mesmiley - smiley

Books made into Films

Post 24

Mother Nature

Bicentennial Man is going to be a horrific mangling of the book. I blame it all on that little girl from the Pepsi comercials. An old one I know but, "Gone With The Wind" was much better on screen than Margret Mittchell's novel. Does anyone havve any thoughts on "fight Club"?

Books made into Films

Post 25

Roman Holiday

The Harry Potter film could be intresting, although it would work better adapted into other mediums ( like the Narnia Chronicles on BBC ... ) . There's already a problem in that the Amercian copies of the book have been altered slightly ( Jelly becomes Jello, Holiday, Vacation, and so on ), and I'm sure that people in the US would get a kick out of stuff referred to by thier quaint English names.. Never Mind. But, for what it's worth, here's my humble ideas for the casting of any upcoming film.. Harry : Haley Joel Osmet ( The Sixth Sense ), Hermoine : Danielle Fishell ( She's actually too old now, but she would've been perfect ) Dumbledore : Peter O'Toole, McGongall : Either Prunella Scales, or Imelda Stuaton. Hagrid : Billy Connolly. And JK Rowling herself should turn up as the image of Harry's mother ( from book one ). Any ideas? ( and, please, not Alan Rickman for Snape. We can be more orginal than that, can't we? ... and, anyway, Snape is surprisingly young.. )

Books made into Films

Post 26

Irving Washington - Gone Writing

There's an article in this month's Rolling Stone that explains all the dumbing down of recent novel to movie transitions. Lots of 'em coming out recently...

~Irving

Books made into Films

Post 27

aPerson, An Angelastic (and alliterative) Acronymaniac

The film Mrs. Doubtfire was much better than the book (Madam Doubtfire) it was based on. Mind you, it's hardly anything like the book except for the idea of a guy dressing up as a woman to see his kids.

I know this is the complete opposite kind of thing, but the book of E.T (by William Kotzwinkle, which I probably spelt incorrectly) is really good. It's not often I see books based on movies (it's usually the other way around, or if there's a book based on a movie the movie's probably based on another book) but this one is really good, there's a lot of stuff explained which they couldn't have put in the movie.

Books made into Films

Post 28

Anyone ever hear of "My Side of the Mountain"? I read the book several times when I was young. The movie was AWFUL!

Books made into Films

Post 29

Peet (the Pedantic Punctuation Policeman, Muse of Lateral Programming Ideas, Eggcups-Spurtle-and-Spoonswinner, BBC Cheese Namer & Zaphodista)

Remember that the book of the Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy was based on the Radio series smiley - bigeyes Both were very good, while the TV series was a dreadful disappointment. Here's hoping they get it right with the movie

Books made into Films

Post 30

aPerson, An Angelastic (and alliterative) Acronymaniac

Being more of a book person, I always assumed the book came before the radio series. I've hardly watched the TV series but I do rather like it because it is word-for-word the same as the books.

Books made into Films

Post 31

Robotron, formerly known as Robyn Graves and before that, GreyRose

The movie version of Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas is the ONLY movie that I have ever seen that was almost exactly the same as the book.

It's because of that movie that, if I had an insane amount of money to produce a movie it would be the Hitchhiker's movie, and Terry Gilliam would direct.

By the way, the orginal director, Alex Cox (Sid and Nancy) and his writing partner (I don't know his name), were chased out of Hunter S Thompson's house, by him, with a gun I'm sure. This was because they wanted to do it without showing any of the hallucinations. But they still got writing credit because writers only have to have a small percentage of stuff they wrote be used to get credit, and directors have to have written a large percentage to get credit. That's why Terry Gilliam and his writing partner had to publish their version of the script calling it a dress pattern. (I don't know if they actually couldn't say it was the script, but that's what it says in the intro.) I would recommend reading it, as it has great storyboards drawn by Gilliam.

GreyRose

Books made into Films

Post 32

Earlier here we mentioned the Lord of the Rings movie. I check out the fan site occasionally, and every time a story (regradless whether it is rumor or truth) is reported there everyone goes ballistic. They all jump and scream and make their faces turn red because oops, a reporter mixed up the dwarves with the elves or whoopsie, someone is wearing the wrong colored hood. (I do see Peta there occasionally, and she's got her head srewed on straight, unlike the rest of them).

It's funny how HHGTTG fans would probably revel in any changes from the original radio scripts or the books into the movie, as changing the story has become an important part of the Guide experience. I mean, so long as the characters are there, most of them have British accents, the Earth blows up, and there's something called an "infinite improbability drive" I'm going to be happy. At least, that is, if DNA is involved with the project. If he dissowns it or (heaven forbid) passes on before it's completion, the who knows what kind of Belgium they'll try to feed us! Excuse my Flemmish.

~Irving

Key: Complain about this post