This is the Message Centre for Moving On

Cop a Look at this!

Post 1

Moving On

Terminator technology is the genetic modification of plants to make them produce sterile seeds. It is being developed by multinational agribusiness companies to prevent farmers from saving seeds to replant from one harvest to the next. If farmers have no choice but to buy new seeds every year, the companies are guaranteed large profits.

Farmers have warned that Terminator technology will threaten global food security and could destroy traditional farming methods in much of the world. If the Terminator genes transfer into wild plant species and non-GM crops, it could also lead to irreversible environmental damage.

A de facto moratorium currently prevents further development of these "suicide seeds" - a decision taken in 2000 by the United Nations Convention on Biological Diversity (CBD) that products incorporating Terminator technology should not be approved for field testing or commercial use.

This moratorium is now under attack. Your help is now needed to push for a real ban on Terminator technology.

It is essential that the current UN Convention on Biological Diversity's (CBD) moratorium on Terminator technology is maintained and reinforced.

Although the issue will continue to be relevant throughout 2006, the all-important meeting of the UN CBD is in March 2006 so please send your letter by 1 March 2006. You can use the sample letters and email messages below as a basis, but we encourage you to use your own words to explain your concerns about Terminator technology.

Say no to Suicide seeds!!!

Lobby your MP or the British Government on Terminator technology
Terminator technology threatens the food security and livelihoods of some 1.4 billion small-scale farmers worldwide - all of whom rely on farm-saved seeds. Terminator technology is a threat to the achievement of the Millennium Development Goal 1 of Eradicating Extreme Poverty and Hunger by 2015.

Contact your MP:
Ask him or her to sign a parliamentary motion, EDM 1300, to
show support for a ban on Terminator technology.

This is from Son No1's forum, something called "Psy-Forum UK" (I think. A bit like Hootoo, inasmuch as it's a sort of community based set up)

I cannot believe how any intelligent person reckons Sterile Plants are a good idea - the whole idea is totally unnatural!

(Why not sterilise our children at birth, in that case... now *That'd solve the world population problem pretty damned rapidly, wouldn't it?)

Unfortunately, I can believe that "Governments" generally are not particually comprised of anyone remotely intelligent.

I'm not sure whether to put this on the General Forum

Half of me says it'd be a good thing to do - but then, I'd like to research into it a bit more before I get my knickers in too much of a twist and start leaping up and down for no good reasen.

H'mmmm.

Key: Complain about this post

Cop a Look at this!

More Conversations for Moving On

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more