This is the Message Centre for Universal Granny

UGGY Uggy Uggy?

Post 1

zendevil

Oi! Oi! Oi!

Wasn't that some sort of evil football chant from the 70's?

Anyway, just saying hi, we've bumped into each other on several threads now; do feel free to lurk my space & maybe say hello on the journal "EYE" thread, you will undoubtedly find some folks you know, just say i sent you, nice friendly meeting place.

smiley - cheers

smiley - zensmiley - devilTerri.

UGGY Uggy Uggy?

Post 2

Universal Granny

Hi Terri and Yoda!

I think what you are looking for is this....

When it was time for those in the Welsh (or was it Cornish? I know someone will put me right on this) mines to have lunch, one miner was elected to go to the surface and collect pasties ("oggies") for them all.

He would call out "oggie! oggie! oggie!" to which the miners who wished him to collect a pastie on their behalf, would shout back "Aye!". The miner destined for the top would count the "aye"s to see how many pasties he was to bring back, being that he could not see all the miners in their various shafts and alleys and could only rely on the replies.

Hence "Oggie! Oggie! Oggie!" "Aye", "Aye", "Aye" became a chant, probably used at a football match - these things happen.

However, lesson over (sorry!) how are you, and yes I have come across you on the threads here and there. Am about to go and investigate the EYE thread as you suggest and probably pop over to your space as well.

Thank you for dropping in to mine, please feel free to do so as often as you like.

(Leaves, scratching head) "ferrets and mandolins a speciality"???

smiley - hugUG

UGGY Uggy Uggy?

Post 3

DrRodge

"Oggie Oggie Oggie" was made popular by the Welsh stand up comedian Max Boyce, so it's a good chance that it originated in the Welsh mines as suggested.

UGGY Uggy Uggy?

Post 4

Taffbanjo

Hello there! I'm a brand new member and happened to spot your name. I'm a Welshman and became a sixty something a year or so back.

Oggie...etc. is a pretty common rugby chant in Wales, which is probably why Max Boyce uses it a lot. I find Max very funny but I'm not sure his humour travels too well. I think you have to be Welsh and a rugby fan to really appreciate him.

Thank you for letting me break my duck.

UGGY Uggy Uggy?

Post 5

Universal Granny

Hello Taffbanjo

Have been out of touch for a couple of weeks whilst helping various members of the family with domestic issues. However, in return one of my daughters has now set me up on broadband which has made everything much faster.

I like Max Boyce - but where has he gone? Haven't seen him around for ages.

Just turned sixty something. I will have just turned sixy next February and cannot wait for retirement!!

Tell me something about yourself.

Take care
UG

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Universal Granny

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more