A Conversation for First-Person Shooters

Peer Review: A1018144 - First-Person Shooters

Post 1

Link 42, Keeper of All Things with Buttons and Also of the Zelda Tune

Entry: First-Person Shooters - A1018144
Author: Blauthecow - U224448

This is an article about first-person shooters (the video games), some of the best ones, and what they are. I intend to follow this up with articles about other gaming genres.

A1018144 - First-Person Shooters

Post 2

Z

Hi

This is a good entry, but the way that you've put all the text in one paragraph makes it difficult to read.

I do think that you need to spilt it up into sections.

Also I think that this would be very difficult to follow if you knew nothing about computer games, what for instance is a platformer?

Post 3

il viaggiatore

Wolfenstein 3D predates doom as a first person shooter.

I agree about splitting it up. Some GuideML is in order.

Post 4

Ahh yes. I am currently learning GuideML. By the way, how many other Americans are there here?

Post 5

Me again (the author). I totally fixed the formatting.

Post 6

Pimms

I liked this smiley - smiley but I think it needs a broader view of the genre.

The intro is good, the two styles of FPS well defined, the length about right, but the breadth a little narrow.

I also agree with the other comments - FPS started with Wolfenstein 3d not Doom, and Sunsneezers view (in the non-PR conversation at the bottom of the Entry) on further areas that ought to be included for a balanced view of FPS's has some of my favorites in.

Obviously there's no point in reviewing every FPS, but I'd like to see a section on the lurk-em-ups: Thief, Project IGI, No One Lives Forever and so on. I'm more of a PC single player, than online multiplayer.

Pedant point - I don't think it sounds right saying 'reached its renaissance', maybe reached its pinnacle (arguable opinion) or had a renaissance (again some would say it never had a decline)

Pimms smiley - stiffdrink

Post 7

Pimms

Actually I never liked Wolfenstein 3d (I couldn't find all the secret areas), and if you want roots for 1st person view games (and ignore the shooting aspect), 3D Monster Maze on the ZX81 considerably predates Wolfenstein3d.

Pimms smiley - stiffdrink

Post 8

Mikey the Humming Mouse - A3938628 Learn More About the Edited Guide!

Link, are you still interested in pursuing this one?

smiley - mouse

Post 9

Atlantic_Cable

The first thing in your entry is the title, which is also in the title anyway, so it's a bit of overkill.

It's a good start so far. Have you considered a table with FPS games by release date? You needen't have everyone, just the important ones that introduced something new.

Post 10

Cyzaki

Has Link left the building?

smiley - panda

Post 11

Kerr_Avon - hunting stray apostrophes and gutting poorly parsed sentences

His/her last postings were at the beginning of June, so I'd say yes- I propose a move to the FM, any seconders?

smiley - ale

Post 12

Z

Seconded

Post 13

Kerr_Avon - hunting stray apostrophes and gutting poorly parsed sentences

smiley - ok

smiley - ale

Key: Complain about this post