This is the Message Centre for Mal

Dualism

Post 1

Mal

People's minds seem to work in sets of two.
Obviously. Think of something basic and important that *isn't* doubled, that isn't the so-called Holy Trinity, and I'll either applaud you, or show you how you're wrong.
Opposites. There's knives and forks. Spoons are something else entirely. They're like miniature bowls.
Mother and Father. Adult and Child. Love and Hate.
Being and non-being.
These are our lies. Who for a second thinks that reality functions the way we wish it to? Right and left.
Dead or alive. If it's possible, imagine yourself in situation where you know, for sure, that there's no possible way to survive past a certain point, where you know, for sure, that you will die at such and such a time. Are you alive? Are you dead? You may not be dying in the strictest sense of the word, but you are still alive/dead.
Point A and Point B.
Is it that hard to realise that the space between the two is made up of an infinite amount of Points? No? Good. Now take away the dots.
Black and White.
I'm white, you're wrong. Everyone who will read this will have heard to the point of tedium the argument about relative morals.
Yellow and song. The two are one and the same.
"Picture an elephant.
"Yes?
"Now take away two elephants. Do you see it?"
Order and chaos.
The one isn't the other. The one isn't the lack of the other. The one isn't the reverse of the other. Neither of them are true.
Have you heard of the principle of "lies-to-children"? "It's okay to tell them that the television work by electricity as if it was some kind of magic, because they don't need to know about electrons and quantum mechanics yet". These are our lies-to-children, and having lived with them for such a time, the universe is now engaged in doing the same to us.
Solid and non-solid. It's a gradual affair. It's in the concentration of things.
Heaven/Hell and Nothing. Each to their own.
Male/Female. It's a lie. You're living a lie. Heads and Tails - what's your torso? Surrealism and realism are one and the same. Today I saw a blue jug with cold water in it. That's surRealism. The trick is to look at the sub-realism. What if I were to tell you that there were five realities, one for each of your senses? I'd be wrong.
Dead or Alive. We must all die at some point; even I, a young boy who believes he can live forever, know this. At some point, the universe will end, and run backwards. Am I alive? Am I dead? I am asleep.
"Justice?! Peace?! How can you have justice or peace on a world of sleeping people?!" - G.I. Gurdjieff.
An exercise - Straighten out your hand and spread your fingers. Now stretch your arm as high as you can above your head, and tilt your head down. Hope and despair. That was an exercise in duality. That was an exercise in belief.
Here ends this Journal. I hope you enjoyed it. It was an exercise in freedom. It was an exercise in belief.

Dualism

Post 2

Heimdall (who used to be Spread Your Wings)

Unfortunately, you are right… so many people are living by reading “labels” not seeing behind them. They blindly except what they are told, and everyone who doesn’t agree is “insane.” There is no right or wrong. There is only what’s “right” for you, but there is still no “wrong.” People live by comparing things… I wonder if it’s so hard to look at things as they are. Sometimes complicated is simple and simple is complicated.

Dualism

Post 3

Mal

Thankyou. However, I would like to point out a problem in what you said - pretty much contrary to what everyone, even the "uber"rational"" atheists say, there isn't even a personal right or wrong. Don't you views change on a daily, and even chronogical, basis? When I wrote that entry, I thought of it as an angry dissertation against a few posts I'd read that annoyed me. Now it seems to me like a poem. Yesterday it looked like a rant. None of these is right or wrong, but they're all personal views, right?
By the way, how'dya come across my entry? Usually no one bothers reading them.

Dualism

Post 4

Heimdall (who used to be Spread Your Wings)

Well, yes, I meant at the moment of your action. That’s why I didn’t like my English professor, who made us write papers not as an opinion, but as a statement. Even when it is just a thought or assumption.

The way I came across your site? =) I wanted to find something interesting, and since my mind was completely empty of any ideas for the “search” button, I decided to see who was online. Then I found some other person’s page that looked quite interesting, so I looked for “my friends,” and you were right there. I really like to listen to other people’s thoughts. Kind of nosy, but still…

Dualism

Post 5

Mal

I'm also a prolific lurker. That technique is one that I might have to add to my repertoire when I'm bored. Nosy, nothing. At least somebody read this, this time.

Dualism

Post 6

azahar

Prolific lurker? Ha! You could give a masterclass in lurking by now. smiley - biggrin

I read all of your journal entries as I have you on my friends list and they automatically appear on my page when you write them. I just didn't feel like I had anything to add to this one.

You went to Spain???

az

Dualism

Post 7

Mal

Why, was it too depressing for you? Or just plain wrong? Everyone and everything has something to add.

Yup, I went to Spain.

Dualism

Post 8

Mal

Well, you proved me wrong.

Dualism

Post 9

azahar

Who are you talking to?

az

Dualism

Post 10

Mal

Whoever's listening. You proved me wrong; obviously no one in the wide world has anything of interest to add to anything anywhere. Least of all this thread.

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Mal

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more