This is the Message Centre for Marymog

The Conley mystery

Post 1

Bessiebennett

Hi again,
I have discovered strange happenings within my Conley (Connolly)family.
My Grandparents were married in Lancaster in 1898 in 8c1372. Their first daughter was born in Retford, Nottingham, in 1900 called Phyllis Maude. 7b16. Grandma was living in Retford then with her brother, Edward. In 1901 Grandpa was living in Mansfield, Notts. as a boarder and down as SINGLE! In 1901 grandma was living in Lancaster, where she wss born, with Phyllis Maude and her brother Edward still living with them. In 1902 the second daughter was born, another Phyllis!!!in Chorlton, Manchester, and there were 5 more daughters born in Chorlton after that date. That is, 5 who survived. So where could my Grandfather have been? He was married to Bessie when I knew them as a child in the 40's 50's, living in the Manchester area. Could they have divorced and married again or were they divorced and never married again? Could the recorded details be up the spout? "It is a Puzzlement" (King and I )
Take care Bessie

The Conley mystery

Post 2

Marymog

Hi

The census happened every 10 years, it is one day from 10 years. If on the 1901 census your gran and grandad had lost their house, or never were able to find a house together, gran was living in with her brother, and grandad had to find lodgings where he worked, the lodging keeper assumed he was single, maybe he had just moved in. Lodging lists on censuses are never reliable, they write what they think or what they can be bothered to write.

Then they moved to chorlton, maybe there they could live together, and grandad found a better job. the 1911 census is missing or mistranscribed, they must have been together, otherwise they couldnt have had children together.

my only idea is to get a birth certificate as near as possible to the 1911 census date and see if they have been mistranscribed.

1 day from 10 years dosent make a way of life.

I have a woman who was living with my step grandad, she registered his children in her married name, but the fathers name was just scored through, because her husband wasnt the father.Eventually they divorced, and my step grandad gave the children his name, but when they got older they went back to the name on their birth certs. also strange.

mm

The Conley mystery

Post 3

Bessiebennett

Thanks for your help. My one regret is that I did not ask questions when I was a child. It would have made my resesrch so much easier.
Bessie.

The Conley mystery

Post 4

Bessiebennett

Hi,
I have finally received the Birth certificate of Terence Joseph Conley. He was born 22.08.1910, at 3 Plough yard, Moor lane, Lancaster. Registered 03.10.1910. Mother Bessie Bennett, formally Johnson. FatherTerence Joseph Conley, Blacksmith's Striker. So they were there just before the 1911 census. Yet I still can't find the family on the 1911 Census web.
Also, another request please. I can't find the date or place of the death of my cousin, Terence Richard Grayson. He was born in 1834 at Battersea, London and married an ANN P ROWSON in 1962 in the North Cotswolds.
You very kindly found the whereabouts of his brother, Robin Grayson, for me so maybe you can help me again? After receiving Robin's address from you I wrote to him for help but have had no reply. I think he is still in shock at hearing from me after 60 years.
I do have one death date. Terence R Grayson 04.05.1994 in Poole, Dorset, aged 59. A14E 4311A 98. But I am not sure if it is him.
Thankyou for your help
Bessie

The Conley mystery

Post 5

Marymog

here you go

death

Name: Terence Richard Grayson
Birth Date: 4 May 1934
Death Registration Month/Year: Mar 1994
Age at death (estimated): 59
Registration district: Poole
Inferred County: Dorset
Register number: A14E
District and Subdistrict: 4311A
Entry number: 98

Your conleys must have missed the census, or their page got mislayed, there is a 4 and 5 Plough yard moor lane but no number 3 on the listings.

are these yours??

Name: Kathleen Conley
Year of Registration: 1913
Quarter of Registration: Jul-Aug-Sep
Mother's Maiden Name: Johnson
District: Chorlton
County: Lancashire
Volume: 8c
Page: 1706

Name: Winifred Conley
Year of Registration: 1915
Quarter of Registration: Oct-Nov-Dec
Mother's Maiden Name: Johnson
District: Chorlton
County: Lancashire
Volume: 8c
Page: 1336

mm

The Conley mystery

Post 6

Bessiebennett

So sorry to have been so long replying. I have been in Spain, returning Xmas eve, without my computer. I did not miss it but came home to 200 messages!!! I would not like you to think I do not appreciate your help.
Yes. Both Kathleen and Winifred were my Grandparent's daughters. They had 13 children but only 6 girls survived. The had only one boy, Terrence Joseph, who died young and his coffin was in the "Parlour" when it went on fire from the candles. My grandfather had a slight stroke from the shock and took his remaining children out of the Catholic school and would not allow a priest in the house again. Three daughters married Roman catholics and 3 did not. My mother married a Church of England man but always turned to the local Catholic church when in touble.
Thanks for the info re my cousin. Another mystery solved with your help.
All the very best for 2011.
Bessie

The Conley mystery

Post 7

Marymog

Hi Bessie

Hope you enjoyed Spain. Although sad, the story of TJ s coffin is an interesting piece of family history.

There is 1911 census on Ancestry, it just gives the family name, but can be searched by how many males and females in the household, which may be a good way to find a mistranscription. Exactly how many males and females do you calculate to have been living in the household in 1911??

then I can have another look

mm

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Marymog

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more