A Conversation for Talking Point: A Good Read

the guide of course!

Post 1

Phil

No one forget the Hitchhiker's guide to the Galaxy! Quality books if I ever seen 'em.

the guide of course!

Post 2

Researcher 219823

Adams admitted that he'd lost the plot with the series towards the end, saying that he couldn't remember what it was -if he'd ever known. Perhaps he never fully realised that he was writing the most comprehensive and scathingly accurate denouncement of evolution.

The BBC certainly never has. In fact it is possible he only sold it to that bastion of the Ba'Ha'I faith by offering it piece-meal, rather in the manner of that poem by Dylan Thomas.

It will end up in the hands of the priests of the BBC's other religion; the ones that have safeguarded the works of William Shakespeare from suffering the fate of the bible.

the guide of course!

Post 3

Alitnil

Well, then, certainly the Dirk Gentley (albeit brief) series.

the guide of course!

Post 4

Does a book have to have a plot to be good?

I mean, if it's just a silly story with lots of witty humor and great social commentary, can't it still be a good book?

the guide of course!

Post 5

Researcher 219823

Can you give us an example of such? It does not have to be a good one, mind you if there is such a thing it doesn't need to be the other either.

the guide of course!

Post 6

Mr Alphabet

>I mean, if it's just a silly story with lots of witty humor and great social commentary, can't it still be a good book?<

Exactly! Now I'm certainly not the expert here seeing as I've only read the first two and a half Hitch-hiker's books... but, okay, I think the reason I haven't quite been bothered to keep going is because they are basically just silly stories with lots of witty humour and great social commentary. They don't have a terrible lot of plot at all, which means I'm not thinking- what's going to happen next??? I'm thinking- whoo, this is so funny, this is so great, good for when I feel bad smiley - smiley

So yeah, I agree, you can have a really great book with out hardly any plot at all smiley - winkeye

Amy
O_o

the guide of course!

Post 7

'A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court' by Mark Twain. The plot itself isn't great. As a matter of fact, there are numerous chapters that really don't advance the plot at all. But the book is, in a lot of ways, very similar to the Hitchhiker's Guide books - it is a silly story with lots of humor and great social commentary.

the guide of course!

Post 8

Titania (gone for lunch)

I agree about the Guide - for the craziness in it!smiley - smiley

...and I'd definitely suggest it to anyone who has registered at h2g2 as a researcher, to find out *why* this place is called h2g2 - and so that they understand what people are talking about when 'vogons' and 'PGGBs' are being mentioned!

the guide of course!

Post 9

Andrea Ortiz...used to want a coffeeshop...now I want a restaurant

satire...satire is great

The World According to Garp has a plot but skips all over...I love it.

Gulliver's Travels...though I am entranced by reading all the details I don't find it very good

The Importance of Being Earnest...a hilarious play...and a whole scene from it is relived between Fenchurch and Arthur in DNA

Candide...though it gets long-winded. take it a chapter a sitting to get the most out of it.treat each chapter like a fable.

1984 by George Orwell

Key: Complain about this post