This is the Message Centre for Boots

Memories

Post 1

Boots

'Now here's the thing', I love that expression, undoubtably grammatically incorrect but it paves the way for a multitude of openings, arguments, reasons, memories, choices, possibilities.

Thinking about the 'pay forward' challenge thrown down on Facebook yesterday which is such a lovely idea, but one perhaps we shouldn't need to be challenged to do, I started to think about my 'I'm ins' and what would make them smile and feel warm and cared for.

It took me back ten years to a moment when an unexpected surprise gave me that feeling of someone caring, somebody who hardly knew me but who took time, trouble and effort to remind me that I wasn't alone.

I'd joined a writing site h2g2 http://h2g2.com/ started by Douglas Adams which, by the time I joined, was populated with a wealth of free spirited and welcoming talent. You soon find a group that most suits you and before long I, now known as Useless Hound or Boots to my friends, was sharing prose, passions and opinions with the likes of A Girl called Ben, Pinniped, Dr Deckchair Fundlelink, Jodan and Montague Trout. This was well before social media and personal blogs. None of us knew who the other was or indeed much about our lives outside of the site. We were anonymous researchers each with a number, intent on exploring ideas and honing writing skills, mining the site for literary gems or 'lurking' to make sure our friends were alright. As with all writers much of what we wrote was taken from personal experience so to some extent we knew a little about each other.

In 2003 my life hit a black hole when my husband died. I posted to site that I would be away for perhaps some time and, in true h2g2 style, messages, well wishes and even poetry were proffered in sympathy.

In those days I had a flower shop and some of my writing had, without naming the shop, been focussed around its activities and the characters that lived in that world.

Six months of 'survival' later a postcard landed on the doormat in the shop. To be more precise a cut out piece of cardboard in the shape of a fish. On one side a black and white picture of a trout had been pasted onto the card. The post mark was Bahrain. On the other side was written “To Boots, you see we lurk well. Thinking of you, love Montague.

Memories

Post 2

Galaxy Babe - eclectic editor

smiley - rose

smiley - schooloffishI have a lot of memories tied up in this place too.

smiley - hugsmiley - smooch

Memories

Post 3

Boots

Lovely to see you again my friend. smiley - bubbly

Memories

Post 4

coelacanth

I used to love your flower shop tales!
smiley - bluefish

Memories

Post 5

Boots

Great ti see you too, fellow agent provocatuer smiley - winkeye.

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Boots

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more