This is the Message Centre for Bluebottle

13.2.2018 – 'Dawn' (1928)

Post 1

Bluebottle

After work I went to the Uni Up the Road to see a showing of 'Dawn', a silent 1928 film about the true story of Nurse Edith Cavell starring Sybil Thorndike. Nurse Cavell saved the lives of over 200 prisoners of war, smuggling them out of occupied Belgium, and was executed. Though one of the most controversial films of the 1920s for fear it would promote hatred, the film itself is anti-war rather than anti-German.smiley - nursesmiley - peacesign

A new score was composed for this showing by some of the students in the University of Southampton's music department, and there were parts where the audience were encouraged to join in. Notably when the prisoners escaped under the German's noses we were encouraged to whistle 'Colonel Bogey March' (originally composed 1914, later known as 'Hitler has only got one Ball'). It's not often you get to accompany a priceless Steinway by whistling.smiley - whistlesmiley - musicalnote

Before the showing I popped into the University of Southampton's library to see if they had a book, only to meet with a surprisingly hostile reception.

<BB<

Post 2

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

Hey, I like that Edith Cavell singalong idea - good for the music department! smiley - biggrin

Post 3

Bluebottle

It was very moving as it went from singing 'Pack Up Your Troubles' and 'It's A Long Way To Tipperary' to suddenly and slowly singing 'Abide With Me' after Nurse Cavell has been told she will be executed at dawn. The film also ends quite abruptly due to it being censored, although apparently a Belgian print suvives with the ending intact.

<BB<

Post 4

Wow...amazing! smiley - rofl

Post 5

Bluebottle

Incidentally, GB wrote an entry about her: A5689119 Edith Cavell - Nurse and WWI Martyr
They also promoted charity the Edith Cavell Trust.

<BB<

Post 6

Florida Sailor All is well with the world

Here in the US the 'Colonel Bogey March' is most remembered as the tune whistled by the POW's at the opening of the film 'Bridge over the River Kwai' http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwApm8lXoUQ

F smiley - dolphin S

Post 7

And to old baby boomers as 'Winners warm up with Malt-O-Meal'. smiley - run

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Bluebottle

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more